Why Does a Magnet's North Pole Point Upwards in the Southern Hemisphere?

In summary, the conversation discusses confusion over a paragraph in the book "Physics 12 for Western Australia" about magnets and electricity. The paragraph explains that a magnet suspended horizontally will always align itself in a north-south direction, allowing for the labeling of its ends as north and south poles. It also mentions that in the southern hemisphere, the north pole will point upwards in addition to northwards, whereas in the northern hemisphere, it will point downwards. This is because the Earth itself acts as a huge magnet with its south pole at the geographic north and its north pole at the geographic south. The conversation also includes questions about the implications of this statement and the directional changes of the north poles in different hemispheres. A helpful link is provided to
gummydork
Hopefully I am posting in the correct forum, but was reading through Cahill's 'Physics 12 for Western Australia' (2nd Edition) and reached chapter 3, regarding magnets and electricity.

There was one paragraph which confused me, and seeing as the school year has not started yet, there is no way to contact any of my teachers, so I'm hoping there is someone here who can help explain this paragraph:

"A magnet suspended so that it is free to rotate horizontally will always align itself in a north-south direction. This gives us a natural way to label the ends of the magnet. The one that always points to the north we call the north pole, and the one that points south is called the south pole.

If the magnet is free to swing vertically as well, in the southern hemisphere the north pole end will point upwards as well as northwards. In the northern hemisphere the north end points downwards. it is as though the Earth itself is acting as a huge magnet, with its south pole to the geopgraphic north and its north pole to the geographic south."

At first, the final sentence confused me "It is as though the the Earth itself is acting as a huge magnet, with its south pole to the geographic north and its north pole to the geographic south." does this imply, that if the north pole was on the geographic north pole, it would be ON north, hence it can't point north?

And my second question is in regards to the hemisphere. Why is it that when in a different hemisphere, why do the north poles of a magnet point in different directions?

Any help will be much appreciated. Thank you :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you for that link, it did help :)

Related to Why Does a Magnet's North Pole Point Upwards in the Southern Hemisphere?

1. What is magnetism?

Magnetism is a physical phenomenon that arises from the force exerted by a magnetic field on electrically charged particles. It is a fundamental property of matter and is caused by the alignment of electric charges within a material.

2. How do magnets work?

Magnets work by creating a magnetic field around them that can attract or repel other magnets or magnetic materials. This is due to the alignment of the magnetic domains within the magnet, which creates a net magnetic field.

3. What are the different types of magnets?

There are three main types of magnets: permanent magnets, temporary magnets, and electromagnets. Permanent magnets retain their magnetism without the need for an external source, temporary magnets can be magnetized and demagnetized, and electromagnets use an electric current to create a magnetic field.

4. How is magnetism measured?

Magnetism is measured using a device called a magnetometer, which can detect the strength and direction of a magnetic field. The most common unit of measurement for magnetism is the Tesla (T).

5. What are some practical applications of magnetism?

Magnetism has many practical applications, including electric motors, generators, MRI machines, speakers, and magnetic storage devices such as hard drives. It is also used in compasses for navigation and in various types of industrial equipment.