Why Do We Use the Reciprocal in Fraction Division?

In summary, the proof for using the reciprocal in fractions division is that division is the inverse operation of multiplication. Therefore, dividing by a fraction is the same as multiplying by the reciprocal of that fraction. This can be shown through the algebraic proof of dividing a fraction by another fraction, where the numerator is multiplied by the reciprocal of the denominator. Understanding this concept can help improve the appearance of LaTeX equations.
Taylor_1989
Could someone show me the proof to why we use the reciprocal in fractions division. I ask this because it seem we are taught the how in math but never the why. Algebra proof would be best thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It's not a proof, it's a definition. Division is the inverse operation of multiplication, and so dividing by a fraction is the same as multiplying by the inverse of that fraction, which is its reciprocal.

My LaTeX always looks so ugly.

[tex]n = \frac{(\frac{a}{b})}{(\frac{c}{d})}[/tex]
[tex]n\left(\frac{c}{d}\right) = \frac{a}{b}[/tex]
[tex]nc = \frac{ad}{b}[/tex]
[tex]n = \frac{ad}{bc} = \left(\frac{a}{b}\right) \times \left(\frac{d}{c}\right)[/tex]

Thanks for the proof abacus, well appreciated makes things clearer for me.

Sure, I would be happy to provide a proof for why we use the reciprocal in fractions division.

First, let's define what a reciprocal is. A reciprocal of a number is simply another number that, when multiplied together, result in a product of 1. For example, the reciprocal of 2 is 1/2, since 2 x 1/2 = 1.

Now, let's consider the division of two fractions, a/b divided by c/d. This can be written as (a/b) / (c/d).

To solve this division, we can rewrite it as multiplication by the reciprocal of the second fraction. So, (a/b) / (c/d) becomes (a/b) x (d/c).

Using the definition of a reciprocal, we can see that (c/d) x (d/c) = 1, since the c's and d's will cancel each other out. Therefore, (a/b) x (d/c) = (a x d) / (b x c).

This means that when dividing fractions, we can simply multiply the first fraction by the reciprocal of the second fraction to get the answer. This is why we use the reciprocal in fractions division.

In algebra, we can represent this concept as follows:

(a/b) / (c/d) = (a/b) x (d/c) = (a x d) / (b x c)

I hope this proof helps to explain why we use the reciprocal in fractions division. Understanding the reasoning behind mathematical concepts can be just as important as knowing how to solve them.

Related to Why Do We Use the Reciprocal in Fraction Division?

1. How do you prove that a fraction is simplified?

A fraction is simplified when the greatest common factor (GCF) of the numerator and denominator is 1. To prove this, find the GCF of the numerator and denominator and divide both by it. If the result is a fraction with a numerator and denominator of 1, then the original fraction is simplified.

2. Is there a specific method for proving the addition or subtraction of fractions?

Yes, the most commonly used method is the "find a common denominator" method. This involves finding the least common multiple (LCM) of the denominators, converting both fractions to equivalent fractions with the LCM as the denominator, and then adding or subtracting the numerators. The resulting fraction can then be simplified if necessary.

3. How can you prove the multiplication of fractions?

The multiplication of fractions can be proved by multiplying the numerators and denominators separately, and then simplifying the resulting fraction. This can also be explained using the concept of multiplying by a reciprocal, where the second fraction is flipped and then multiplied.

4. Can you prove the division of fractions?

Yes, the division of fractions can be proved by multiplying the first fraction by the reciprocal of the second fraction. This can also be explained by flipping the second fraction and then using the same method as proving multiplication of fractions.

5. How do you prove that two fractions are equivalent?

Two fractions are equivalent if they represent the same value. To prove this, find the simplest form of both fractions and compare them. If they are the same, then the fractions are equivalent. Another method is to cross-multiply and see if the resulting equations are equal.