Why do we need to equate the rate of energy of the second plate to zero?

In summary, the rate of energy with respect to time of the second plate is computed using the equation dq2/dt = Aσ((373)^4/2 + (273)^4/2 - T2^4). This is equalized to zero to find the answer, but it is unclear why this step is necessary. The q arrow on the figure suggests that it represents conservation of energy (radiation flux), but it is not clear why the flux of radiation must be equal. The black body has a transmission coefficient τ = 0, so it is possible for the energy coming from 1 to be absorbed and emitted to 3 in a different form. However, for thermal equilibrium to occur, the outgoing energy must be equal
LCSphysicist
Homework Statement
Print below
Relevant Equations
\n
1605881791524.png

1605881805475.png

First i computed the rate of energy wrt time of the second plate:
$$dq_{2}/dt = A \sigma ((373)^4/2 + (273)^4/2 - T_{2}^4)$$
Equaliting it to zero we get the answer. But i am not sure why do we need to equality it to zero.
The q arrow on the figure suggest me that it is conservation of energy (radiation flux), but i don't get why.
The black body has transmission coefficient ##\tau = 0##, so i don't understand why the flux of radiation need to be equal. The body could pretty well absorb the energy coming from 1 and emite an energy to 3 totally different, couldn't?

Physics news on Phys.org
For thermal equilibrium, outgoing =ingoing. If that were not true, the temperature ##T_2## would change

Likes LCSphysicist
hutchphd said:
For thermal equilibrium, outgoing =ingoing. If that were not true, the temperature ##T_2## would change
Yes i imagined it, but as the questions says nothing about equilibrium, i discarded the possibility. But since you pointed it too, i think that's enough to close this topic.

Related to Why do we need to equate the rate of energy of the second plate to zero?

1. Why is it important to equate the rate of energy of the second plate to zero?

Equating the rate of energy of the second plate to zero is important because it allows us to accurately measure the energy transfer between the two plates. This is especially crucial in experiments or systems where energy conservation is a key factor.

2. What happens if we don't equate the rate of energy of the second plate to zero?

If we do not equate the rate of energy of the second plate to zero, it can lead to inaccurate results and a violation of the law of conservation of energy. This can also affect the overall energy balance of the system and make it difficult to analyze the energy transfer between the two plates.

3. How do we equate the rate of energy of the second plate to zero?

To equate the rate of energy of the second plate to zero, we need to ensure that the rate of energy transfer from the first plate to the second plate is equal to the rate of energy transfer from the second plate to the surroundings. This can be achieved by adjusting the temperature or other variables in the system.

4. Can we equate the rate of energy of the second plate to zero in all systems?

No, equating the rate of energy of the second plate to zero may not be applicable in all systems. It depends on the specific conditions and variables of the system. In some cases, other factors such as friction or external forces may also need to be considered.

5. What are the implications of not equating the rate of energy of the second plate to zero in an experiment?

The implications of not equating the rate of energy of the second plate to zero can vary depending on the experiment. In some cases, it may lead to inaccurate results and a violation of energy conservation laws. In others, it may not significantly affect the overall outcome of the experiment. It is important to carefully consider and account for all energy transfers in an experiment to ensure accurate and reliable results.