Why do so many people despise school?

• Thread starter Nano-Passion
  • Start date
  • Tags
    School
In summary, many people despise school because they don't like going to class while half asleep, getting bored while the teacher drones on and on, spending hours on homework, and stressing out over the essay that they forgot about and that's due tomorrow.
Nano-Passion
I used to be one of them, but my eyes opened as I matured--and I saw the value in learning. I simply just love it, its gives me a meaning to myself now.

Why do so many people despise school? I see it so much and it bothers me because I used to be down that route earlier.

Physics news on Phys.org
I despise school because I don't like going to class while half asleep, getting bored while the teacher drones on and on, spending hours on homework, and stressing out over the essay that I forgot about and that's due tomorrow. This certainly doesn't mean that I don't see the value in learning. I also see the value in getting a root canal, but that doesn't mean I enjoy getting one.

Nano-Passion said:
I used to be one of them, but my eyes opened as I matured--and I saw the value in learning. I simply just love it, its gives me a meaning to myself now.

Why do so many people despise school? I see it so much and it bothers me because I used to be down that route earlier.
I despised HS because it was boring and undemanding. I enjoyed college because many of the courses challenged me. Plus, I was paying for it and took the courses that I wanted.

I had no loans because I worked full-time all summer and part-time all through school to pay my way. If I didn't enjoy college, I would not have worked so hard to make it possible. I was the very first person on either side of my large extended family to attend college, and it opened doors for me. Don't attend college because you are told that you "have" to attend to get a good job, or that you "have" to get a degree - do it because you want to learn, and if you are not getting your money's worth, kick up a fuss or make alternative arrangements. You're paying for the access to education - make sure you get what you're paying for.

I hated school because of how awful it was at doing it's job. Essentially I just ended up stuck in a variety of rooms with a class mainly consisting of disruptive people who didn't want to be there whilst an adult alternated between drawing things on a board and trying to curb the excesses of the disruptive people.

The social environment was one whereby if you were talented at any subject you were a target for bullying, if you didn't match the ideals of what one should look like you were a target for bullying, if you didn't bully you were a target for bullying.

6th form and university were so much better because everybody there wanted to be there.

Not sure why, but I always hated school. And I was a smarta$$, too. Later, when I was an instructor, I always said if I ever had a student like me, I'd throw them right out of the class. :smile:

Last edited:
I like learning. I just don't like being short-slept--teenagers naturally gravitate towards sleeping in--and being surrounded by idiots who can't see the value of an education.

I don't like college, because I MUST sit in on lectures that ever hardly teach me anything. I learn almost exclusively from reading the book, deriving questions from reading the book, then asking the professor after class those questions. I just don't understand how anyone expects a 1 hour shallow discussion on a topic will help anyone much. The book is far more detailed.

Some will say 'taking classes they don't enjoy' in college, but that is minimal since most classes you have to take (even unrelated to your major) are mature, necessary, and interesting.

And of course, I hate having to wake up, losing sleep and the will to study.

As for HS:
It had the same sleep problem except HS was early as hell no matter what (no schedule control), so it was even worse. It also taught me nothing (except I had to be in lectures for even longer than in college AND the material was BORING and BASIC unlike college). Here, unlike college, I found the 'taking classes I don't like' problem to actually exist. Wellness? Gym? Music? These were things that just didn't interest me yet wasted all of my time.

But on top of the lectures not teaching me anything, the book almost taught me nothing too. HS needs to be harder and shorter.

I feel like college is a bit too slow also to accommodate the horde (for many classes). I swear, many classes are a bunch of boring, useless lectures then a couple days of studying before the test. I could have finished those courses in 2 weeks with an A (e.g. my tech elective engineering economics (ie405) or introduction to programming c++ or our logic course with FPGA boards etc.)

Related to Why do so many people despise school?

1. Why do some students find school boring?

There can be a variety of reasons why a student may find school boring. One of the main reasons is that the curriculum may not be engaging or relevant to the student's interests. Additionally, some students may have a hard time staying focused in a traditional classroom setting. It is important for educators to try to make the learning experience more interactive and meaningful for students to help combat boredom.

2. What causes students to dislike certain subjects in school?

There are many factors that can contribute to a student disliking a particular subject in school. It could be that they struggle with the subject matter, or they may not have had a good teacher in that subject. It could also be that the subject does not align with their interests or future goals. It is important for educators to try to make all subjects engaging and relevant to students' lives.

3. Why do some students feel overwhelmed and stressed in school?

School can be a source of stress for many students due to the heavy workload and high expectations. Some students may also feel pressure from their parents or peers to perform well, which can add to their stress levels. In addition, extracurricular activities and social pressures can also contribute to feeling overwhelmed. It is important for students to learn effective time management and stress management techniques to help cope with these pressures.

4. What impact does a negative school environment have on students?

A negative school environment can have a significant impact on students' attitudes towards school. If students do not feel safe or supported in their school environment, it can lead to feelings of anxiety, stress, and even depression. It can also affect their academic performance and motivation to learn. It is important for schools to create a positive and inclusive environment for all students.

5. How can schools better support students who despise school?

There are several ways that schools can support students who are struggling with school. One approach is to provide more individualized and personalized learning experiences. This can include offering different types of classes and activities to cater to diverse interests and learning styles. Schools can also implement programs and resources to support students' mental health and well-being. Additionally, involving students in the decision-making process and listening to their feedback can help create a more positive and supportive school environment.