Why do shapes with the same area have different perimeters?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of constant perimeter resulting in different areas for different shapes. It is mentioned that this is a common occurrence in geometry and examples are given, such as circles and rectangles. The conversation also delves into the idea of finding shapes with the same area and perimeter, and the difficulty in doing so. Different approaches, both physical and mathematical, are suggested for understanding this concept. The conversation also touches on the relationship between area and perimeter, and how they are not preserved under deformations. Various examples and ideas are discussed, such as space-filling curves and isometries.
SSG-E
TL;DR Summary
For example, Consider two shapes; a circle and rectangle.

Both these shapes have same area but the perimeter of circle is less than that of rectangle. Why?
L.png

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Take a loop of string or a rubber band and play around with it. It will give you a feeling as to why a constant perimeter can result in different areas.

Likes fresh_42
I don't know what kind of answer you are looking for. It's obvious from geometry that there are many possible shapes with the same area and different perimeters. If I make a very long skinny rectangle of a given area, I can make the perimeter as large as I want. I don't know what kind of answer to give to your question except, "that's the way the geometry of our universe works."

Likes phinds
SSG-E said:
Summary:: For example, Consider two shapes; a circle and rectangle.

Both these shapes have same area but the perimeter of circle is less than that of rectangle. Why?

Or, try to find an example of two different shapes that have the same area and the same perimeter.

PeroK said:
Or, try to find an example of two different shapes that have the same area and the same perimeter.
none

phyzguy said:
I don't know what kind of answer you are looking for. It's obvious from geometry that there are many possible shapes with the same area and different perimeters. If I make a very long skinny rectangle of a given area, I can make the perimeter as large as I want. I don't know what kind of answer to give to your question except, "that's the way the geometry of our universe works."
I mean is it something related to the sides of the shapes?

SSG-E said:
I mean is it something related to the sides of the shapes?
The answer is trivially yes.

Start with a simple problem: consider a rectangle with sides of length ##a## and ##b##. The area is given by ##a \times b## while the parameter is ##2 (a+b)##. Do you see how a quantity that changes with the product of variables behaves differently than a quantity that changes with the sum of those variables?

Likes Vanadium 50, jim mcnamara, SSG-E and 1 other person
DrClaude said:
The answer is trivially yes.

Start with a simple problem: consider a rectangle with sides of length ##a## and ##b##. The area is given by ##a \times b## while the parameter is ##2 (a+b)##. Do you see how a quantity that changes with the product of variables behaves differently than a quantity that changes with the sum of those variables?
yes

SSG-E said:
PeroK said:
none
There are examples, but they are a bit harder to find. A triangle and a suitable trapezoid are the easiest examples.

t
mfb said:
There are examples, but they are a bit harder to find. A triangle and a suitable trapezoid are the easiest examples.
triangles in some cases?

PeroK said:

Another exercise would be to try and prove which shape maximises ##\frac{\text{Area}}{\text{Perimeter}}##. And what about ##\frac{\text{Volume}}{\text{Surface Area}}## in 3D?

etotheipi said:
Another exercise would be to try and prove which shape maximises ##\frac{\text{Area}}{\text{Perimeter}}##. And what about ##\frac{\text{Volume}}{\text{Surface Area}}## in 3D?
Circle maximizes Area/perimeter. Sphere has the largest Volume/area.

SSG-E said:
Circle maximizes Area/perimeter. Sphere has the largest Volume/area.

It's right, but can you prove it? :wink:

Likes jedishrfu
etotheipi said:
It's right, but can you prove it? :wink:
In case of circle, it has infinite number of sides. In case of a sphere, For example, balloons are spherical, and they will assume the shape of minimum area

SSG-E said:
For example, balloons are spherical, and they will assume the shape of minimum area

You can come up with some physical arguments which might show that the radius of curvature of a small region of the surface of an elastic balloon filled with a gas at a uniform pressure must be constant everywhere, implying a sphere.

For a more mathematical approach, you might look at something like this.

Likes Lnewqban and SSG-E
And what about the ratio area/perimeter for this shape?
1591716567725.png

This is an example of a space-filling curve, a Sierpinski curve. The curve has a recursive definition, given one instance you can easily create the "next" and more complicated curve.

Likes etotheipi
Maybe a high-powered answer is that neither area nor perimeter are topological properties, so are not preserved under deformations. Same would go the other way around, if you fixed a perimeter you can obtain figures of different areas. Maybe you can do something fancier and describe in a general way the relation between area and perimeter.

mfb said:
Thinking about it, two suitable trapezoids are a much easier example of two different shapes with the same area and perimeter.

Likes jbriggs444
It may be an issue of using isometries which I assume would be the operations that would preserve these. Topology vs Geometry.

mfb said:
Thinking about it, two suitable trapezoids are a much easier example of two different shapes with the same area and perimeter.
I have in mind flopping between trapezoid to a parallelogram.

Please consider the following diagram:

1592078882188.png

The light blue shaded area is less than that area plus the grey shaded area (i.e. the area of the whole ABC triangle), but because 'the shortest distance between two points is a straight line', the DF line segment is shorter than the DE plus EF segments, which makes the perimeter path of the light blue shaded area, ABCFEDA, longer than that of the outside triangle. ABCA. or ABCFDA, despite the smaller area of the region enclosed by the longer path.

Related to Why do shapes with the same area have different perimeters?

1. Why do shapes with the same area have different perimeters?

The perimeter of a shape is the distance around its outer edge. The area of a shape is the measure of the space inside its boundaries. So, while two shapes may have the same area, their perimeters can be different because they have different boundary lengths.

2. Can you give an example of shapes with the same area but different perimeters?

Yes, consider a square and a rectangle with the same area of 16 square units. The square has a perimeter of 16 units (4 sides x 4 units per side), while the rectangle could have a perimeter of 20 units (2 sides x 8 units per side + 2 sides x 2 units per side).

3. How does the number of sides affect the perimeter of a shape with a given area?

The number of sides of a shape directly affects its perimeter. The more sides a shape has, the longer its perimeter will be for a given area. This is because each additional side adds to the total boundary length of the shape.

4. Are there any exceptions to the rule that shapes with the same area have different perimeters?

Yes, there are some special cases where shapes with the same area can have the same perimeter. For example, two circles with the same area will have the same perimeter, as the circumference of a circle is directly proportional to its radius.

5. Why is it important to understand the relationship between area and perimeter of shapes?

Understanding the relationship between area and perimeter can help us solve real-world problems involving shapes. For example, if we know the area and perimeter of a field, we can calculate the length of fencing needed to enclose it. It also helps us compare and classify shapes based on their properties.