Why Do My Outlets Have a Positive, Negative, and Ground?

In summary: You'll see a white plastic bar with a red and green stripe and two screws on each end. The ground wire goes to the screw on the end with the green stripe. This completes the circuit and makes the outlet safe to use.
Peter Pan
Just curios. Why do the electrical outlets in my home have a positive, negative, and a ground? With circuits that I am familiar with, if you have a positive and a negative connected, there is no need for a ground. Does anyone have an explanation?

Pan

Engineering news on Phys.org
Actually, your house has a "Hot" a "Neutral" and a ground wire.

The hot is fed 120V AC and since we need a complete circuit the neutral is used to complete the circuit.

The big difference between neutral and ground is that ground should never have any current on it and is therefore safe to hook to the outside case of electrical devices to use as a means to protect people from shocks.

In fact, if you look at a GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter) that will be on any outlet near water (kitchen, bathroom, or outside outlets) there is circuitry that will open the circuit breaker if it senses ANY difference in the current on the hot and neutral wires. Since they are the two parts of the circuit, any current not flowing the complete loop must be going somewhere else (like in the bathtub) so therefore it interrupts the circuit well before enough current flows to trip the breaker by heating it, which may never happen even though a very unsafe condition may exist.

So we need the ground to be really safe. The exception is double-insulated equipment which uses only the two plug lugs of hot and neutral and the safety is provided by the design of the device. For example, a double insulated drill may have a metal drill chuck but it is completely isolated from the eletrcial circuit with electrical insulation.

Cliff

does the nutrual wire go back to the circut breaker to complete the circut?

It does not go to the breaker itself, but it goes to the neutral bar in the panel. If you own your own place, take the cover off and have a look.

Related to Why Do My Outlets Have a Positive, Negative, and Ground?

1. Why do my outlets have a positive, negative, and ground?

Outlets have three prongs because they require a complete circuit in order to function. The positive and negative prongs carry the electricity to and from the outlet, while the ground prong serves as a safety measure to prevent electrical shock.

2. What is the purpose of the positive, negative, and ground in an outlet?

The positive and negative prongs are responsible for delivering the electrical current to the outlet. The ground prong is a safety feature that redirects excess electricity to the ground in case of a malfunction, preventing harm to the user.

3. Can I use an outlet without a ground?

No, it is not safe to use an outlet without a ground. The ground prong serves as a safety feature and without it, there is a risk of electric shock or fire. It is important to have all outlets properly grounded.

4. How do I know if my outlet is grounded?

You can check if your outlet is grounded by using a multimeter. Place one probe on the hot (positive) prong and the other on the ground prong. If the reading is around 120 volts, then your outlet is properly grounded.

5. What should I do if my outlet is not grounded?

If your outlet is not grounded, it is important to have it fixed by a professional electrician. Attempting to use an ungrounded outlet can be dangerous and may cause electrical shocks or fires. It is important to ensure all outlets in your home are properly grounded for safety purposes.