Why Do My Answers Differ on These Limit Problems?

• Thread starter Poznerrr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the conversation discusses two limit problems, #15 and #16, and provides a picture of the attempts to solve them. It is noted that the limit from above for #15 is 0 while the limit from below is infinity. For #16, the approach should be to convert the summation into an integral, using a variable substitution and taking the limit as n approaches infinity. The conversation also includes a discussion on how to correctly integrate the integral using substitution and trigonometric functions.
Poznerrr
Member warned that the homework template is not optional
Hey! Can somebody take a look on these two limit problems? I don't agree with the answer to #15, which is supposed to be 0 while I get infinity. #16 seems to ask to find the value of the sum...I posted a pic of my attempts to solve the problems below.
upload_2016-7-6_13-3-12.png

upload_2016-7-6_13-4-2.png

My attempts:
upload_2016-7-6_13-20-27.png

Physics news on Phys.org
#15 is asking for the limit *from above*. When [itex]\pi/2 < x < \pi[/itex], [itex]\tan x[/itex] is negative.

However you are correct that the limit *from below* is [itex]e^{+\infty} = +\infty[/itex].

pasmith said:
#15 is asking for the limit *from above*. When [itex]\pi/2 < x < \pi[/itex], [itex]\tan x[/itex] is negative.

However you are correct that the limit *from below* is [itex]e^{+\infty} = +\infty[/itex].
Ooooh, I see! Thanks!

Poster has been reminded to not do the student's homework for them
For Problem 16, the approach should be to convert the summation into an integral thus:
[tex]\lim_{n \to \infty} \sum_{i = 1}^{n} \frac{3}{n} \sqrt{9 - \left(\frac{3i}{n}\right)^2} = \lim_{n \to \infty} \sum_{i = 1}^{n} \frac{3 \Delta i}{n} \sqrt{9 - \left(\frac{3i}{n}\right)^2} [/tex]
where ##\Delta i = 1##.
Then, it is straightforward to have a variable ##\lambda = i / n##, so that in the limit ##n \to \infty##, the summation becomes the integral
[tex]\int_{0}^{1}d\lambda\,\,3\sqrt{9 - 3\lambda^2 } [/tex]

Fightfish said:
For Problem 16, the approach should be to convert the summation into an integral thus:
[tex]\lim_{n \to \infty} \sum_{i = 1}^{n} \frac{3}{n} \sqrt{9 - \left(\frac{3i}{n}\right)^2} = \lim_{n \to \infty} \sum_{i = 1}^{n} \frac{3 \Delta i}{n} \sqrt{9 - \left(\frac{3i}{n}\right)^2} [/tex]
where ##\Delta i = 1##.
Then, it is straightforward to have a variable ##\lambda = i / n##, so that in the limit ##n \to \infty##, the summation becomes the integral
[tex]\int_{0}^{1}d\lambda\,\,3\sqrt{9 - 3\lambda^2 } [/tex]
Thanks! I understand the substitution, but don't quite get how you came up with the limits of integration (0 and 1).

Poznerrr said:
Thanks! I understand the substitution, but don't quite get how you came up with the limits of integration (0 and 1).
The variable ##\lambda = i/n## takes values between ##0## (i = 1) and ##1## (i = n), which are the corresponding limits of the original summation.

Fightfish said:
The variable ##\lambda = i/n## takes values between ##0## (i = 1) and ##1## (i = n), which are the corresponding limits of the original summation.

The limits make sense then. I'm trying to compute the integral and something is really off...

Here's what I get when I try to compute the integral

Attachments

• IMG_0220.JPG
    IMG_0220.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 392
The integration is not correct; you need to use integration by parts - remember its an ##u^2## under the square root.

Fightfish said:
The integration is not correct; you need to use integration by parts - remember its an ##u^2## under the square root.
I set u=sqrt(1-u^2) (du=-u/sqrt(1-u^2) and dv=du, so that v=u. But this didn't help much, since I still need in integrate sqrt. (1-u^2). It started to look more like inverse sine though.

Attachments

• IMG_0236.JPG
    IMG_0236.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 404
Actually nevermind about the integration by parts; it's much faster to do a substitution directly on the original integral ##\int d\lambda \,\,\sqrt{1-\lambda^2}## - let ##\lambda \equiv \sin \theta## and proceed accordingly.

Fightfish said:
Actually nevermind about the integration by parts; it's much faster to do a substitution directly on the original integral ##\int d\lambda \,\,\sqrt{1-\lambda^2}## - let ##\lambda \equiv \sin \theta## and proceed accordingly.
Yeah, I used trig sub and got the answer I was supposed to. Thanks for your help!

Related to Why Do My Answers Differ on These Limit Problems?

1. What is a limit in mathematics?

A limit in mathematics is a fundamental concept that refers to the value that a function or sequence approaches as its input or index approaches a certain point. It describes the behavior of a function or sequence near a specific value.

2. How do you compute a limit?

To compute a limit, you need to follow a specific process depending on the type of function or sequence. For simple functions, you can substitute the value the function is approaching and see if it gives a finite value. For more complex functions, you may need to use algebraic manipulation or graphing techniques to determine the limit.

3. What are the properties of limits?

The properties of limits include the sum/difference rule, product rule, quotient rule, power rule, and constant multiple rule. These properties allow us to simplify the computation of limits and apply them to more complex functions.

4. Why are limits important in calculus?

Limits are important in calculus because they provide a foundation for the derivative and integral concepts. These concepts are essential in understanding the rate of change and the area under a curve, which are fundamental concepts in calculus.

5. What is the difference between a one-sided limit and a two-sided limit?

A one-sided limit only considers the behavior of a function or sequence from one direction, either from the left or the right of the point. A two-sided limit, on the other hand, considers the behavior from both directions and ensures that the function approaches the same value from both sides.