Why do Lifesavers no longer produce a blue flash, but Altoids still do?

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Flash
In summary, the conversation discusses the triboluminescence effect in Wintergreen Altoids (which still produce a blue light flash) and the possible reasons for the change.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Most nerds know that if you crunch a wintergreen lifesaver in your mouth or with a pair of pliers, it flashes blue light due to triboluminescence, . Breaking the bonds in the sugar molecules releases UV, which is then re-emitted as blue light by the wintogreen flavoring [ Methyl salicylate ] due to fluorescence. It has long been a fun, favorite science demo for kids.

Recently I mentioned this to a young engineer at work who immediately had to try it. But she said it didn't work! WHAT? So I picked up an identical product which also did not produce a flash. But Wintergreen Altoids do flash.

I am wondering if the use of corn syrup as a sweetener could be the problem. I haven't dug into the chemistry but it struck me as a suspect when I read the ingredients label. Also, the Altoids, which do still flash, list natural and artificial flavoring. The Lifesavers only list artificial flavoring. So I wonder if they stopped using natural wintergreen oil. in any event, I thought it would be fun to figure out what has changed. l

It is too bad that this fun demo seems to be going away.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes hutchphd, jedishrfu, BillTre and 1 other person
Physics news on Phys.org
Nah, we don't have these here so I am clueless.

• Wow
Likes Ivan Seeking
Can we send you some for evaluation?

Likes Ivan Seeking
Here is a nice video of the flash, with explanation.

Here is one with more general explanation, not as good pix.

It seems it goes:
break crystal --> separate charges --> get spark --> UV photon --> make fluorescence with neighboring molecules

Added chemicals can interfere with the fluorescent step (can be a problem with fluorescent microscopy).
I don't know about the other steps.

Likes Ivan Seeking
BillTre said:
Here is one with more general explanation, not as good pix.

OMG I am all excited now. Triboluminescence has sparked my imagination! :D As the man says, this might be used as an engineering tool for the detection of friction, stress/strain, and fracturing, in a wide range of materials. I can easily imagine using this knowledge for what I do.

Likes BillTre
PS, if anyone has a UV camera, maybe you could try this with lifesavers and see if you get a UV flash when you crush one. Have we lost the UV flash completely or just the fluorescence in the visible range?

Perhaps it would be easier to see if they fluoresce under UV

I have amazed and bemused countless folks of all ages with the Wint-o-green blue flash. I would be more upset by the change but at my age any attempts to produce the flash could well invite dental repair. So it goes. Very interesting though.

• Haha
Likes Ivan Seeking

1. Why did Lifesavers stop producing a blue flash?

There are a few possible reasons for this change. One reason could be that the blue flash was not popular enough among consumers and did not boost sales. Another reason could be that the ingredients used to create the blue flash were costly or difficult to obtain. Lastly, it is possible that the company wanted to differentiate itself from other breath mint brands, such as Altoids, which still produces a blue flash.

2. Is the blue flash harmful to consume?

No, the blue flash in Lifesavers and other breath mints is not harmful to consume. It is made of ingredients such as sugar, corn syrup, and flavorings, which are all safe for consumption. However, as with any food or candy, it is important to consume them in moderation.

3. Why do Altoids still produce a blue flash?

Altoids may still produce a blue flash because it is a signature feature of their brand. The company may have found that the blue flash is popular among their consumers and helps differentiate their product from others in the market. Additionally, they may have found a cost-effective way to produce the blue flash without significantly impacting their profits.

4. Can the blue flash be recreated at home?

Yes, it is possible to recreate the blue flash effect at home. There are several recipes and tutorials available online that use ingredients such as sugar, baking soda, and citric acid to create a similar effect to the blue flash in Lifesavers and Altoids. However, it is important to note that the exact ingredients and proportions used by these companies may not be disclosed, so the homemade version may not be an exact replica.

5. Will Lifesavers ever bring back the blue flash?

It is difficult to say if Lifesavers will bring back the blue flash in the future. Companies often make changes to their products and marketing strategies based on consumer demand and profitability. If there is enough demand for the blue flash, it is possible that Lifesavers may bring it back. However, it is also possible that they have moved on from this feature and will focus on other aspects of their product instead.