Why do equations with two distinct variables with 2 distinct

In summary, solving an equation with one variable involves finding the value of that variable that satisfies the equation. This eliminates the need for trial and error and allows for a more efficient method of finding a solution. However, this method may not always work, depending on the relationship between the equations involved.
navneet9431
My question is about basic algebra. I am thinking about the "why" here and I'm looking for an intuitive answer.If you have the following equations:
=>S+U=90
=>S+U=90
and
=>40S+25U=2625
=>40S+25U=2625
you can then rewrite S=90−U and then substitute.

Now you have a single equation with one variable:
=>40(90−U)+25=2625
=>3600−40U+25U=2625
=>−15U=−975
Hence, U=65What's going on here? Ultimately, why does this always solve out? I realize single equations with one variable solve (there's got to be some number that satisfies this equation), but why? What's going on? I guess by solving the equation, we're bypassing this repetitive process of trial and error of plugging in numbers and seeing if it equals 2625? Is that what "solving the equation" really means?

Note: I am a High School student and English is my second language.Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
navneet9431 said:
My question is about basic algebra. I am thinking about the "why" here and I'm looking for an intuitive answer.If you have the following equations:
=>S+U=90
=>S+U=90
and
=>40S+25U=2625
=>40S+25U=2625
you can then rewrite S=90−U and then substitute.

Now you have a single equation with one variable:
=>40(90−U)+25=2625
=>3600−40U+25U=2625
=>−15U=−975
Hence, U=65What's going on here? Ultimately, why does this always solve out? I realize single equations with one variable solve (there's got to be some number that satisfies this equation), but why? What's going on? I guess by solving the equation, we're bypassing this repetitive process of trial and error of plugging in numbers and seeing if it equals 2625? Is that what "solving the equation" really means?

Note: I am a High School student and English is my second language.Thanks!
It does not always work. E.g. ##2x+y=0## and ##4x+2y=0## won't work. Geometrically you consider two straights here. They can cross each other as in your example, can be identical as in mine, or parallel. In the first case we find the point which is on both straights. It is like walking along one straight (equation 1) and then look where it crosses the other (equation 2, without leaving the first). In the second case (my example), you get back only one equation, that is one single, entire straight. And in the last case they don't have points in common. Parallelity results in a contradiction, e.g. ##2x+y=2## and ##4x+2y=5##. No point ##(x,y)## satisfies both equations, i.e. lies on both straights if they are parallel.

Related to Why do equations with two distinct variables with 2 distinct

1. Why do equations with two distinct variables have two solutions?

In an equation with two distinct variables, each variable represents an unknown quantity. When solving the equation, we are trying to find the values of these unknown quantities. Since there are two variables, there can be two different combinations of values that satisfy the equation, resulting in two solutions.

2. Can equations with two distinct variables have more than two solutions?

Yes, it is possible for equations with two distinct variables to have more than two solutions. For example, if the equation is a quadratic equation, it can have up to two real solutions, but it can also have complex solutions which would result in more than two solutions overall.

3. Why do some equations with two distinct variables have no solution?

If the two variables in the equation are not related to each other in any way, there may not be a set of values that can satisfy the equation. In other words, there is no solution that will make both sides of the equation equal. This can happen when the variables represent two completely different quantities or when the equation is invalid.

4. How can you solve an equation with two distinct variables?

The process of solving an equation with two distinct variables involves isolating one variable on one side of the equation and using algebraic operations to solve for the other variable. This can be done through methods such as substitution or elimination.

5. Are equations with two distinct variables used in real-life applications?

Yes, equations with two distinct variables are commonly used in real-life applications, especially in fields such as physics, economics, and engineering. They can be used to model relationships between two quantities and make predictions or solve problems in various situations.