Why Do Electron, Muon, and Tau Masses Differ in Scale and Correction Effects?

• Thread starter DuckAmuck
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Loop
In summary, The mass values of electrons, muons, and taus in the standard model are not the actual measured values due to loop corrections and screening effects. This is related to the energy scale. While their masses are different, the concept of scales refers to the fact that they have different orders of magnitude. It is possible to find relationships between their masses, such as the Koide formula, but the pole masses are all on the same footing. Loop corrections are added by calculating the one-loop corrections to the two-point function and subtracting out divergent pieces. The pole scheme subtracts both the divergent pieces and a residual scale dependence. Some recommended texts for further understanding are the qft book of
DuckAmuck
This is a 3 part question.

1. I've come to understand that the mass values in the mass terms (pole mass) of the standard model don't represent what we actually measure. That there are loop corrections. (I understand the concept: there's screening either adding or subtracting from the true value). I get that this is also related to energy scale.
So now, my question is, why is it said that electrons, muons and tau masses are on different scales? Is it just because their masses are so different, or are their loop corrections different, or is it both?

2. Even though the lepton masses are on different scales, is it possible to have a relationship or some kind between them, sort of like the koide formula? Are the pole-masses on the same footing? Could something like the Koide formula have physical meaning?

3. How exactly are loop corrections added? All I know is how to solve for equations of motion from a lagrangian. Where do the loop corrections actually come in? Is there an easy-to-follow walk thru for this?

thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello,

I would believe this statement of the scales refers just to the fact that they have different masses (which are orders of magnitudes apart).

In the SM, these are just numbers (as a result of yukawa interactions whose strength must be measured experimentally).

Do you know how to calculate a two point function for a fermion? I.e. I( Slashed(p) - m )

The inverse of this gives you the propagatir for a fermion, and the position of the pole gives you the pole mass. At leading order all mass definitions are equivalent/redundant.

Then, the next step is to calculate the one loop correction to the two point function. so all possible 1particle irreducible diagrams. (This is covered in all decent qft books).

The problem is then that these loop diagrams contain divergences. These are subtracted out, and in addition sometimes finite parts. Depending on what is subtracted gives you a different scheme.

The pole scheme corresponds to subtracting the divergent pieces and a residual scale dependence (a result of performing renormalisation in fixed order perturbation theory).

Some texts which discuss this well are the qft book of schwarz

Related to Why Do Electron, Muon, and Tau Masses Differ in Scale and Correction Effects?

1. What are mass and loop corrections?

Mass and loop corrections are two types of quantum corrections that are applied to physical theories, specifically in the context of quantum field theory. These corrections take into account the effects of virtual particles and their interactions on the mass and other properties of particles in a quantum field theory.

2. How do mass and loop corrections affect particle properties?

Mass and loop corrections can cause changes in the mass, charge, and other properties of particles. These corrections arise from the interactions of virtual particles and can cause small shifts in the values of these properties, leading to more accurate predictions of physical phenomena.

3. Why are mass and loop corrections important in physics?

Mass and loop corrections are important because they allow for more accurate calculations and predictions in quantum field theory. Without taking these corrections into account, the predictions of physical phenomena would not match experimental results, leading to inconsistencies and inaccuracies in our understanding of the universe.

4. How are mass and loop corrections calculated?

Mass and loop corrections are calculated using mathematical techniques such as perturbation theory and Feynman diagrams. These calculations involve summing over all possible interactions of virtual particles to determine their contributions to the mass and other properties of particles in a quantum field theory.

5. Can mass and loop corrections be experimentally verified?

Yes, mass and loop corrections can be experimentally verified through precision measurements of particle properties. By comparing these measurements to the theoretical predictions that include mass and loop corrections, we can confirm the validity and accuracy of these calculations.