Why Do Different Kinematic Equations Yield Different Results for Free Fall?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding final velocity and distance using equations for free fall. The initial equation used, V(final) = V(final) - V(initial) = at, was rearranged incorrectly and the correct rearrangement is x = (a-b)/c. The conversation also touches on using the equation x = xi + vit + .5at^2 to calculate acceleration in a given scenario.
dolpho

Homework Statement

Upton Chuck is riding the Giant Drop at Great America. If Upton free falls for 2.6 seconds, what will be his final velocity and how far will he fall?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Finding V(final)= Vf-Vi = at ---> Vf = (-9.81)(2.6) = 25.5

The second part is a little confusing. Why don't these equations come out with the same answer?

Vf^2 = Vi^2+2a(DeltaX)...Rearranged to... -DeltaX = 0 + 2(9.81) - 25^2 = 650meters something which doesn't really make sense.

The other I used was X= 1/2at^2 = 33meters

The second is the correct answer but why didn't the equation I do work? Since we know the initial is 0, the final is 25.5. We also know the time.

Physics news on Phys.org
dolpho said:
Vf^2 = Vi^2+2a(DeltaX)...Rearranged to... -DeltaX = 0 + 2(9.81) - 25^2 = 650meters something which doesn't really make sense.
Your rearrangement is incorrect. Give it another shot.

Try this first: If you had an equation a = b + cx, how would you solve for x?

Doc Al said:
Your rearrangement is incorrect. Give it another shot.

Try this first: If you had an equation a = b + cx, how would you solve for x?

Couldn't I just move B over and then divide by C

a-b / c = x

dolpho said:
Couldn't I just move B over and then divide by C

a-b / c = x
Exactly. But I'd write it as x = (a-b)/c.

Now do the same thing with your equation. They are similar.

Your algebra is wrong .

25^2 = 0 + 19.62x, solve for x. You shouldn't be using that equation because if you got Vf wrong in part 1, then this part would also be wrong. You can use it as a check after you use the x = .5gt^2 equation.

Doc Al said:
Exactly. But I'd write it as x = (a-b)/c.

Now do the same thing with your equation. They are similar.

Ok so, V^2 = U^2 + 2aD

D = -V^2 / -2A

Ohhhhh, heheheh oops lol. I totally knew that but I tried to rush it. Sorry I have one more question.

A car starts from rest and accelerates uniformly over a time of 5.21 seconds for a distance of 110 m. Determine the acceleration of the car.

So the reason I can't use V= D / T is because that only calculates average or constant velocity? So instead I'd have to use x = xi + vit + .5at^2?

dolpho said:
So the reason I can't use V= D / T is because that only calculates average or constant velocity? So instead I'd have to use x = xi + vit + .5at^2?
Right.

If you know how to relate average velocity (given by D/T) to the final velocity, you can use that method as well.

Related to Why Do Different Kinematic Equations Yield Different Results for Free Fall?

1. What are kinematic equations?

Kinematic equations are mathematical formulas used to describe the motion of objects. They involve variables such as displacement, velocity, acceleration, and time.

2. Why do people get confused about kinematic equations?

People often get confused about kinematic equations because they involve multiple variables and can be complex to solve. It is also easy to mix up the equations and use the wrong one for a given scenario.

3. How do I know which kinematic equation to use?

To determine which kinematic equation to use, you need to identify which variables are known and which one you are trying to solve for. Then, you can use the equation that includes those variables and solve for the unknown quantity.

4. Can kinematic equations be used for any type of motion?

Yes, kinematic equations can be used for any type of motion, as long as the motion is along a straight line and the acceleration is constant. If the acceleration is changing, more advanced equations, such as calculus-based equations, may be needed.

5. How can I avoid confusion when using kinematic equations?

To avoid confusion when using kinematic equations, it is important to carefully read and understand the problem, identify the known and unknown variables, and use the correct equation. It can also be helpful to practice using the equations and double-check your work to ensure accuracy.