Why do colored freezy pops turn clear when left outside in the cold?

In summary, the roommates left freezy pops outside in -20F temperature and they turned clear after a day, even when brought to warmer temperatures. The reason for this change is unknown, as other freezy pops do not change color when frozen. Another conversation about a thread receiving many replies while a legitimate scientific inquiry receives only one suggests that the more interesting topic garners more attention.
KingNothing
So this last winter, my roommates and I left a bunch of freezy pops outside to get cold fast (the temp was -20F). They were in clear plastic and may have been exposed to the sun.

After about a day, we went to pick them up, and they had all turned clear. They stayed clear even when brought to warmer temps. Why might this be?

Physics news on Phys.org
No idea. My freezy pops stay colored even when frozen. But I don't freeze mine to -20 either.

Why is it that a thread called "what is time?" got hundreds of replies, when my legitimate scientific inquiry gets one? :cry:

KingNothing said:
Why is it that a thread called "what is time?" got hundreds of replies, when my legitimate scientific inquiry gets one? :cry:

It's more interesting? :wink:

This phenomenon is due to the process of freezing and thawing that occurs when the freezy pops are left outside in the cold. The colored liquid inside the freezy pops contains microscopic particles of dye that give it its color. When the temperature drops below freezing, these particles become suspended in the liquid and do not have enough energy to move around. As a result, the liquid appears colored and opaque.

However, when the temperature drops even further, the liquid freezes and expands, causing the particles to separate and settle at the bottom. This leaves the liquid clear and transparent, giving the appearance that the freezy pop has lost its color. When brought back to warmer temperatures, the liquid thaws and the particles redistribute, but they may not fully mix back into the liquid, resulting in a paler color or a clear appearance.

Additionally, exposure to sunlight may also contribute to the particles settling at the bottom as the heat from the sun can cause the liquid to expand and contract, further separating the particles.

In conclusion, the change in temperature and exposure to sunlight can cause the particles in the colored freezy pops to settle and separate, resulting in a clear appearance. This is a natural and reversible process that occurs due to the properties of the liquid and the particles within it.

Related to Why do colored freezy pops turn clear when left outside in the cold?

Why do colored freezy pops turn clear when left outside in the cold?

There are several factors that contribute to this phenomenon:

What is the science behind this color change?

The color change is due to a process called freezing point depression. When the freezy pop is exposed to cold temperatures, the water molecules in the solution start to freeze. This causes the concentration of the sugar and dye molecules to increase, resulting in a change in color.

Does the color change affect the taste of the freezy pop?

Yes, the change in color can also impact the taste of the freezy pop. As the concentration of sugar and dye molecules increases, the taste can become more concentrated and may taste sweeter or more intense.

Why do some freezy pops turn clear while others turn a different color when left outside?

The difference in color change can be attributed to the type and amount of dye used in the freezy pop. Some dyes are more sensitive to temperature changes, resulting in a more dramatic color change.

Can the freezy pops still be safely consumed after this color change?

Yes, the color change does not affect the safety of the freezy pop. As long as it has been properly stored and is within its expiration date, it is safe to consume even after the color change occurs.