Why do bodies attract each other?

• Thread starter Akash Pardasani
  • Start date
  • Tags
    bodies
In summary, according to the second law of thermodynamics, bodies will try to attract each other in order to decrease entropy, but this process violates the law. It is still unknown why masses attract gravitationally.
Akash Pardasani
I just wanted to clear a little doubt of mine.
The second law of thermodynamics says that every physical system wants its entropy to be increased, the universe being a physical system should be doing the same.
But , then why would two bodies want to attract each other (gravitation) even though the above process decreases the entropy(randomness) hence violating the above stated law.
Am i interpreting it the wrong way or is sth wrong with the theory?

Physics news on Phys.org
Akash Pardasani said:
I just wanted to clear a little doubt of mine.
The second law of thermodynamics says that every physical system wants its entropy to be increased, the universe being a physical system should be doing the same.
But , then why would two bodies want to attract each other (gravitation) even though the above process decreases the entropy(randomness) hence violating the above stated law.
Am i interpreting it the wrong way or is sth wrong with the theory?

You are interpreting it the wrong way.

Most of the explanations of entropy on the web and in the popular press are greatly oversimplified; there's more to it than just "randomness". Two idealized point masses can move under the influence of their gravitational attraction more or less indefinitely without any change in entropy at all.

As for why masses attract gravitationally... We don't know. It is a fact that they do, and it is a fact that Newton's law of gravitation describes this phenomenon very well, and it is a fact that Einstein's general theory of relativity works even better. But why? All we can say is that that's how the universe we live in works.

That's a really deep and tough question. As far as I understand, It is now believed that gravity doesn't necessarily decrease entropy, and in fact, very high gravity objects such as black holes are actually very high in entropy. In other words, the black hole has hair. Although gravity might seem like it decreases entropy, if you go into all the math, it is not necessarily so. I don't understand it well enough to give a better answer, but I think it is still a field of current research. Maybe you should ask Roger Penrose; I think he has some ideas on the question.

According to Bekenstein and Hawking, a black hole has the maximum amount of entropy for a two dimensional area given by the event horizon. I assume, as masses attract gravitationally, the system moves closer to this black hole limit.

Nugatory said:
You are interpreting it the wrong way.

Most of the explanations of entropy on the web and in the popular press are greatly oversimplified; there's more to it than just "randomness". Two idealized point masses can move under the influence of their gravitational attraction more or less indefinitely without any change in entropy at all.

As for why masses attract gravitationally... We don't know. It is a fact that they do, and it is a fact that Newton's law of gravitation describes this phenomenon very well, and it is a fact that Einstein's general theory of relativity works even better. But why? All we can say is that that's how the universe we live in works.
Thank you for your explanation.
But still the concept of entropy doesn't satisfy me. It would be great if you could suggest me some resources to understand the same.

Hi Akash, Welcome to PF,
The question you have put forward is really an interesting one :D but what missing in it is the correct understanding to about the second law of thermodynamics. In thermodynamish language, the law states that a cold body can't heat up a warm body. Heat naturally wants to flow from warmer to cooler areas. Heat wants to flow and spread out to areas with less heat. If heat is going to move from cooler to warmer areas, it is going against what is “natural”, so the system must put in some work for it to happen.
Similarly its the natural tendency of a body to attract other, and so they do.
They would violate the law of thermodynamics when they shall disobey Sir Issac Newton or Einstein. I hope you got the point.:)

Related to Why do bodies attract each other?

1. Why do objects fall towards the Earth?

Objects fall towards the Earth due to the force of gravity. The Earth has a large mass, which causes a gravitational pull towards its center. This pull is what causes objects to fall towards the ground.

2. How does gravity work?

Gravity works by creating a force between two objects with mass. The strength of this force is determined by the mass of the objects and the distance between them. The larger the mass and the closer the objects are, the stronger the force of gravity will be.

3. Why do objects with different masses fall at the same rate?

This is because the force of gravity is directly proportional to the mass of the objects. This means that the larger the mass, the stronger the force of gravity. However, the acceleration due to gravity is the same for all objects, regardless of their mass. This is why objects with different masses fall at the same rate.

4. What is the relationship between distance and the force of gravity?

The force of gravity decreases as the distance between two objects increases. This is known as the inverse square law. Essentially, the further apart two objects are, the weaker the force of gravity between them will be.

5. How does Einstein's theory of relativity explain gravity?

Einstein's theory of relativity states that gravity is not a force between two objects, but rather a curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of mass. This means that objects with mass cause a distortion in the fabric of spacetime, which is what we experience as the force of gravity.