Why didn't the Universe end up in a huge black hole?

In summary: Yes, but this only works if the mass is NOT uniformly distributed along with other mass. That is, think of a 3D lattice of 10x10x10 Earth sized bodies, with 1/10th the mass at the center. In this case, even if the mass at the center was incredibly dense, the event horizon would still form because there would be more mass outside of it than inside it.
Leonardo Muzzi
Since in the beginning of the universe all matter was concentrated in a ridiculously small space, how didn't the whole universe just ended up as a huge black hole right after the gravitational force appeared?

Only solution I can think of is that space itself was expanding faster than matter could gather together, and that this process continued long enough to prevent everything from collapsing.

But still, given the fact that galaxies hold matter together today while the universe is expanding, it is hard to think that matter couldn't just "resist" the expansion back then as it does now.

Space news on Phys.org
This question has been answered here dozens of times. I suggest a forum search.

Likes 1oldman2
Leonardo Muzzi said:
Since in the beginning of the universe all matter was concentrated in a ridiculously small space

That part is COMPLETELY not true... If Universe is infinite, it was also infinite back then.

Last edited:
phinds said:

I have wondered about the question in the op also, and tried forum searches and internet searches. All I come up with are endless threads about weather or not the universe is a black hole, I don't think that's the question here. I'm not sure exactly how to ask the question, or if there is even a rational answer. But I'll try anyway:

The density of a stellar mass black hole is something like 6x10^18 kg/m3. I don't know if that changes with size of the black hole. The question is, at some point in the early universe, was the density ever greater than that? And if so why wasn't it a black hole? There is a huge gap in my knowledge here and I suspect there is something fundamental that I am missing. Any thoughts would be appreciated, or links to a thread or papers that might help fill in the missing pieces. Apologies if this is not what the op was asking.
phinds said:

Yes, the density in the early universe was incredibly high BUT ... for one thing, it was pretty much uniform so there was no center for anything to coalesce around and for the other thing, the inflationary pressure was WAY stronger than gravity anyway.

weirdoguy said:
That part is COMPLETELY not true... If Universe is inginite, it was also infinite back then.
And in addition to this, even if it was finite it was unbounded so there still was no center for anything to coalesce on.

phinds said:
And in addition to this, even if it was finite it was unbounded so there still was no center for anything to coalesce on.

I did a search but didn't find it. This "uniformity" perfectly preventing any concentration is strange for me, since the CMB itself shows clearly signs of energy concentration in the early universe.

As for the inflation, that makes a lot of sense.

As a matter of fact I found this video about the subject:

Leonardo Muzzi said:
... the CMB itself shows clearly signs of energy concentration in the early universe.
Sure. 1 part in 100,000

Leonardo Muzzi said:
I did a search but didn't find it. This "uniformity" perfectly preventing any concentration is strange for me, since the CMB itself shows clearly signs of energy concentration in the early universe.
Can you elaborate? The CMB is consistent with a highly uniform universe on cosmological scales.

Leonardo Muzzi said:
Since in the beginning of the universe all matter was concentrated in a ridiculously small space, how didn't the whole universe just ended up as a huge black hole right after the gravitational force appeared?
As phinds pointed out, the extreme inflationary pressure of the early universe would have prevented its gravitational collapse:

Gravitational collapse occurs when an object's internal pressure is insufficient to resist the object's own gravity. For stars this usually occurs either because a star has too little "fuel" left to maintain its temperature through stellar nucleosynthesis, or because a star that would have been stable receives extra matter in a way that does not raise its core temperature. In either case the star's temperature is no longer high enough to prevent it from collapsing under its own weight.​

stoomart said:
the extreme pressure of the early universe would have prevented its gravitational collapse:
However, you don't need anything to collapse, or even be very dense, to form a black hole. The event horizon forms if there's enough mass contained in some region of space, but the more mass there is, the less dense it can be.

Bandersnatch said:
However, you don't need anything to collapse, or even be very dense, to form a black hole. The event horizon forms if there's enough mass contained in some region of space, but the more mass there is, the less dense it can be.
Yes, but this only works if the mass is NOT uniformly distributed along with other mass. That is, think of a 3D lattice of 10x10x10 Earth sized bodies, each 1 million miles from the next neighbor but with nothing else around. Clearly, this will collapse into a BH. Now think of the same lattice extended to infinity in all directions. No BH will form because there is no center. This is the point I made in post #5.

Likes stoomart
phinds said:
This is the point I made in post #5.
And I wasn't correcting you. :smile:

I kinda wanted to engage you about the role of 'inflationary pressure' in the context of the question, but seeing how I don't feel I'm on sufficiently solid footing to even formulate the question correctly, I decided against it.

benjamin1889 said:
That being said we now believe that the universe is finite and does indeed have a boundary.
Are you talking about the observable universe? We have no idea whether the universe, of which our observable patch is but one part, is infinite, finite, or bounded in any way.

yes sorry, i suppose in part I was talking about the observable universe. you can disregard that bit :)

Leonardo Muzzi said:

Because it was expanding rapidly.

Bandersnatch said:
The event horizon forms if there's enough mass contained in some region of space

And if that mass is not expanding rapidly. This qualification isn't often discussed, because black hole formation is normally discussed in the context of the collapse of a static object like a star. But the qualification is still a valid one.

Likes nikkkom and Leonardo Muzzi
The OP question has been answered, and speculative posts are not allowed. Thread closed.

Likes jim mcnamara

Related to Why didn't the Universe end up in a huge black hole?

1. Why didn't the Universe end up in a huge black hole?

This is a common question because the concept of a black hole is often associated with the ultimate destruction of matter. However, the Universe did not end up in a black hole because of the vast amount of energy and matter present at the time of the Big Bang. This energy and matter were able to counteract the gravitational pull and prevent the formation of a black hole.

2. How was the Universe able to expand instead of collapsing into a black hole?

The expansion of the Universe is due to a combination of factors, including the initial rapid expansion of the Big Bang, the ongoing expansion due to dark energy, and the effects of gravity on matter. These factors all work together to counteract the gravitational pull and prevent the Universe from collapsing into a black hole.

3. What role did dark matter play in preventing the Universe from becoming a black hole?

Dark matter is believed to make up a significant portion of the total matter in the Universe. Its presence and gravitational effects are thought to have played a crucial role in preventing the Universe from becoming a black hole. The extra gravitational pull from dark matter helped to counteract the force of gravity and keep the Universe expanding.

4. Could the Universe eventually collapse into a black hole in the future?

While it is impossible to predict the future of the Universe with certainty, it is highly unlikely that it will collapse into a black hole. The expansion of the Universe is expected to continue, and the amount of energy and matter present is more than enough to prevent a black hole from forming. Additionally, the effects of dark energy are expected to counteract the gravitational pull and continue the expansion.

5. Are there any other theories for why the Universe did not end up in a black hole?

There are several other theories and explanations for why the Universe did not end up in a black hole. Some propose that the laws of physics and the principles of thermodynamics prevent the formation of a black hole on such a large scale. Others suggest that the Universe may have a flat or negatively curved shape, which would also prevent a black hole from forming. However, the exact reason remains a subject of ongoing research and debate among scientists.