Why did they use only meter resistance for tau of inductor

In summary, the problem involves finding the time required for the current and voltage to drop in a circuit with an inductor and switch. The book and solution use different methods for calculating the time and initial voltage, resulting in different answers. However, it is possible that there is a typo in the problem statement.
nickmanc86

Homework Statement

http://imgur.com/uLZdBJC
uLZdBJC.jpg

27. The switch has been closed for
about 1 h. It is then opened at the time defined as t 0 s.
a. Determine the time required for the current iL to drop to
10 μA.
b. Find the voltage VL at t 10μs
c. Calculate VL at t 5tau.

Homework Equations

So I completely worked through this problem. Got Eth (20V) and Rth (1.66MΩ). Used 5H for the inductance and plugged into the formula for IL getting iL = 20V/1.66MΩ * e -t/tau where I assumed tau to be 5H/1.66MΩ= 3μs. However the answer comes out incorrect .55μs.

Looking at the solution for the book it calculates tau using only the resistance of the meter 10MΩ and gets a tau of 5μs. This of course gives the same answer as the back of the book. I do not understand why they use only the meters resistance for the tau calculation.

For part B i use the simplified release formula for VLof VL = -Vi * e-t/tau . I simply took my Vi to be Eth or 20V with my tau of 3μs and solved for VL.

However they proceed to use Vi = I*Rm where Vi = (20/1.66MΩ)*10MΩ =120V giving them VL = 120V * e-t/tau using their tau of 5μs.

I do not understand why they calculate tau using only Rmeter and then subsequently find Vi using Eth/Rth * Rmeter.

3. My Work
A)
Rth = 2MΩ||10MΩ = 1.66MΩ
Eth = 24V*10MΩ/12MΩ = 20V
Tau = L/R = 5H/1.66MΩ = 3μs

Plugged into
IL = E/R * e-t/tau -> IL = .55μs
Correct Answer = .92μs

B)
Vi = 20V

Plugged into
VL = -Vi *e-t/tau = -0.713V
Correct answer = .81V

Physics news on Phys.org
nickmanc86 said:

Homework Statement

http://imgur.com/uLZdBJC
uLZdBJC.jpg

27. The switch has been closed for
about 1 h. It is then opened at the time defined as t 0 s.
a. Determine the time required for the current iL to drop to
10 μA.
b. Find the voltage VL at t 10μs
c. Calculate VL at t 5tau.

Homework Equations

So I completely worked through this problem. Got Eth (20V) and Rth (1.66MΩ). Used 5H for the inductance and plugged into the formula for IL getting iL = 20V/1.66MΩ * e -t/tau where I assumed tau to be 5H/1.66MΩ= 3μs. However the answer comes out incorrect .55μs.

Looking at the solution for the book it calculates tau using only the resistance of the meter 10MΩ and gets a tau of 5μs. This of course gives the same answer as the back of the book. I do not understand why they use only the meters resistance for the tau calculation.

For part B i use the simplified release formula for VLof VL = -Vi * e-t/tau . I simply took my Vi to be Eth or 20V with my tau of 3μs and solved for VL.

However they proceed to use Vi = I*Rm where Vi = (20/1.66MΩ)*10MΩ =120V giving them VL = 120V * e-t/tau using their tau of 5μs.

I do not understand why they calculate tau using only Rmeter and then subsequently find Vi using Eth/Rth * Rmeter.

3. My Work
A)
Rth = 2MΩ||10MΩ = 1.66MΩ
Eth = 24V*10MΩ/12MΩ = 20V

Plugged into
IL = E/R * e-t/tau -> IL = .55μs
Correct Answer = .92μs

B)
Vi = 20V

Plugged into
VL = -Vi *e-t/tau = -0.713V
Correct answer = .81V
Are you sure the problem statement is that the switch has been closed and is then opened at t=0? I could be wrong, but that will result in a *very* large voltage being developed across the inductor, limited only by the parasitic capacitance of the inductor and the circuit (which are not specified).

The problem would make much more sense if the switch were closed at t=0...

I double checked the problem in the book and it definitely states the switch was closed for 1h and then opened at a time t = 0s. I suppose it is possible there is a typo in the book (it apparently has many). However, correct or not, they proceed to solve it as stated and end up with those answers. Their initial voltage for part B is 120V which is high relative to the voltage source. Unfortunately out of my realm of understanding (basic circuits FTW).

When the switch opens the only available path for the current is via the 10 MΩ meter...

gneill said:
When the switch opens the only available path for the current is via the 10 MΩ meter...

Oh my, of course. Wow I feel dumb now. Thank you very much that definitely makes sense.

Related to Why did they use only meter resistance for tau of inductor

1. Why is meter resistance used for measuring the tau of an inductor?

Meter resistance is used for measuring the tau of an inductor because it allows for a direct measurement of the inductance value. The resistance of an inductor is directly proportional to its inductance, making it a useful tool for determining the inductance of the component.

2. Can other methods be used to measure the tau of an inductor?

Yes, other methods such as oscilloscope measurements, frequency response analysis, and LCR meters can also be used to measure the tau of an inductor. These methods may provide more accurate results in certain circumstances, but meter resistance is a simple and commonly used method for inductance measurement.

3. What is the significance of measuring the tau of an inductor?

The tau of an inductor is a measure of its time constant, which is important in determining the behavior of the inductor in a circuit. It can also be used to calculate the energy stored in the inductor and its response to changes in current or voltage.

4. Are there any limitations to using meter resistance for measuring the tau of an inductor?

Yes, there are some limitations to using meter resistance for measuring the tau of an inductor. This method assumes that the inductor is purely inductive, which is not always the case. In addition, the accuracy of the measurement may be affected by factors such as the resistance of the meter and the frequency of the current.

5. How can I ensure accurate measurements when using meter resistance for tau of an inductor?

To ensure accurate measurements when using meter resistance for tau of an inductor, it is important to use a high-quality meter with a low resistance and low frequency range. It is also recommended to perform multiple measurements and calculate the average to minimize any errors. Additionally, compensating for any stray capacitance in the circuit can improve the accuracy of the measurement.