Why did our conservation of momentum experiment have unexpected results?

In summary, the conversation was about a lab experiment on conservation of momentum. The experiment involved sliding marbles down a ramp and observing their momentum. Out of five trials, one showed an increase in momentum, which was unusual and not in line with the law of conservation of momentum. The participants checked for errors but could not find any, and the conversation ended with the possibility of different weights causing the discrepancy.
_X3R0_
I was doing a lab one day in school and me and my teacher noticed something this isn't homework. We were wondering about conservation of momentum in the lab. The way it was done was we attached a small little ramp on the table. On the ramp we put a marble and let it slide down the ramp and onto the floor. We recorded this distance quite accuratly. Now then we put a second marble at the bottom of the ramp and so we let it hit the marble at an angle so that they would fly off in vectors and have both x and y components. Now we did this about 5 times. Out of the 5 times it worked out the way it should have the two vectors were added together and we got the same amount of momentum give or take a slight bit due to friction and air resistance. Now the 1 out of the 5 time that we did it we noticed that the momentum actually increased. Obviously we found this to be weird and it was to much for it to be human error. We did it agian same procedure same results 4 out of 5 worked but that one did the same thing. Now my question is its almost as if momentum was created somehow but that doesn't go wiht the rule of conservation of momentum. Now how could this happen. (and yes we checked the friction and the original momentum vector to make sure nothing happened and all that jazz.)

Physics news on Phys.org
If what you say is true...very interesting. But chances are you made a miscalculation somewhere, but i could be wrong...who knows? i don't. i wasn't there. Sorry can't help you here.

Last edited:
... possibly different weights and you didn't know?

Large errors are usually almost exclusively the realm of human errors too :P

Related to Why did our conservation of momentum experiment have unexpected results?

What is conservation of momentum?

Conservation of momentum is a fundamental law of physics that states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant over time, meaning that in the absence of external forces, the total momentum of the objects in the system before a collision or interaction will be equal to the total momentum after the collision or interaction.

How is conservation of momentum related to Newton's Third Law?

Newton's Third Law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. Conservation of momentum is related to this law because it explains that the total momentum of a system remains constant due to the equal and opposite reactions of the objects in the system.

What are some real-world examples of conservation of momentum?

Some examples of conservation of momentum in everyday life include billiard balls colliding on a pool table, a car crash, or a rocket launching into space. In each of these situations, the total momentum of the system remains constant before and after the interaction.

How does mass affect conservation of momentum?

According to the law of conservation of momentum, the total momentum of a system remains constant. This means that the more massive an object is, the more momentum it will have. So, in a collision between two objects, the more massive object will have a greater impact on the total momentum of the system.

What is the difference between elastic and inelastic collisions in terms of conservation of momentum?

In an elastic collision, both momentum and kinetic energy are conserved. This means that the total momentum of the system remains constant, and the objects involved do not lose any energy during the collision. In an inelastic collision, only momentum is conserved, and some kinetic energy is lost in the form of heat or sound. However, in both types of collisions, the law of conservation of momentum still holds true.