Why Current is Chosen as Base Unit & 2E-7 N/m Force?

In summary: The precise value of 1.60E-19 is only known since 1910.In summary, the base unit for current, the Ampere, is defined as the rate of change of current passing through a point each second. It is chosen because it is a useful and accurate measurement related to mechanical quantities. The force needed for this definition is 2E-7 N/m, which is not equal to 1 N/m due to the constant of permeability of space. The electron's charge value of 1.60E-19 is a result of the unit Coulomb being much older than the discovery of the electron's charge.
darkar
Current is the rate of change of current passing throught a point each second. 1 ampere is defined as the current in two infinitely long straight wires 1m apart in a vacuum which produces a force of 2E-7 N/m on each wire.

My question is why we choose current as base unit rather than charge?
and why the force needed is 2E-7 N/m but not 1N/m?

Thx

Physics news on Phys.org
darkar said:
Current is the rate of change of current passing throught a point each second.

You mean "rate of change of charge" !

That is a useful definition of an Amp, because it relates the Amp to mechnical quantities that we may be more familiar with. This is not 1 N because the expression for the force involves a constant called the permeability of space. This constant, unfortunately, is not equal to 1 (or, actually 2Pi).

Another way to define 1 Amp is the current you get when you have 1 Coulomb of charge passing through some plane every second.

okay, but i got another question.
I am curious why physicist choose current to be base unit and charge to be derived unit. I need some sort of explanation.

Help is very appreciated.

Unit definitions are always based on phenomena that are the most "easy" to measure, i.e. that give the most accurate results. It's quite difficult to measure charge directly!

Those definitions also change with technical developement. Until 1946, the Ampère was defined using the electrolysis of Silver-Nitrate (AgNO_3): 1A is the current that produces 1.11800 mg silver per second at the cathode. This seems a strange way to define the unit of current, but it was the most precise technique to measure current at that time.

kuengb said:
Unit definitions are always based on phenomena that are the most "easy" to measure, i.e. that give the most accurate results. It's quite difficult to measure charge directly!

May i know what is the difficulty in counting charge?

Here, i got another question. Why the electron is given such small charge value, that is 1.60E-19 ?

darkar said:
My question is why we choose current as base unit rather than charge?
and why the force needed is 2E-7 N/m but not 1N/m?

The use of current as a fundamental unit shows the implicit unification of E and B fields -- i.e. view the definitions as based on the source of fields.

The value of the units are still, however, based on the necessity of having 1C (and hence 1 A) of charge generating the interaction.

May i know what is the difficulty in counting charge?
Hmm... I've never done a thing like this, but I suggest you'll need a high DC voltage source (to "produce" the charge you want to measure) which must be perfectly constant...probably isolation problems...don't know. In fact, charge measurement is often done with a galvanometer, which is sort of a measurement apparatus for small currents.

But the point is: what you need for technical application is current measurement, not charge measurement. So, say you have a perfect 1C charge on a capacity, and now you want to adjust an amperemeter with it. You know: This amount of charge flowing through per second, that's 1 Ampère. But how do you produce a constant current with your perfect 1C charge? Not possible.

Here, i got another question. Why the electron is given such small charge value, that is 1.60E-19 ?
The answer is quite simple: Because the unit Coulomb is much older than the electron! I don't know who used "Coulomb" first (I don't think it was Coulomb himself; that would have made him quite an arrogant guy :smile: ). What I know is that the idea of quantized charge came up around 1900 or a bit earlier. Millikan was the first one who measured it.

Related to Why Current is Chosen as Base Unit & 2E-7 N/m Force?

1. Why is current chosen as the base unit?

Current is chosen as the base unit because it is a fundamental physical quantity that is essential in understanding and describing many natural phenomena. It also has a direct relationship with other important quantities, such as voltage and resistance, making it a crucial unit in the study of electricity and magnetism.

2. What is the significance of using 2E-7 N/m as the unit for force?

2E-7 N/m is chosen as the unit for force because it represents a very small value of force, which is typically encountered in microscopic or atomic-scale systems. This unit allows scientists to accurately measure and describe forces at the nanoscale level.

3. How does current relate to other base units?

In the International System of Units (SI), current is defined as the flow of electric charge and is measured in amperes (A). 1 ampere is equivalent to 1 coulomb of charge passing through a conductor in 1 second. Current is also related to other base units such as length, time, and mass, through the equations for electric field and magnetic field.

4. Why is the SI system used for measuring current and force?

The SI system is used for measuring current and force because it is a standardized and internationally accepted system of units. This allows for consistency and accuracy in scientific measurements and ensures that results can be easily replicated and understood by scientists all over the world.

5. How is force related to current?

Force and current are related through the phenomenon of electromagnetism. When an electric current flows through a conductor, it creates a magnetic field around the conductor. This magnetic field interacts with other magnetic fields and can exert a force on objects, such as in the case of an electric motor or a solenoid. The magnitude of this force is directly proportional to the current flowing through the conductor.