Why category in Baire's Category Theorem?

• Thread starter goedelite
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary, the Baire's Category Theorem, originally referred to as "sets of the first category" and "sets of the second category", has now been renamed to meagre sets and nonmeagre sets. This change in terminology reflects the density of an intersection of open sets in a complete metric space. The concept of "category" or "meagre" is a detailed matter and may not be explained in some monographs. However, understanding the first line of the "Definition" section on the Wikipedia page linked above is sufficient to grasp the concept of a meagre subset.
goedelite
Why "category" in Baire's Category Theorem?

I have recently begun reading a monograph on topology, "Introduction to ..." by Gamelin and Greene. Ultimately, I would learn the reason, but patience is not my strong suit. So, why the word "category" in the name of the theorem, which has to do with the density of an intersection of open sets in a complete metric space?

Physics news on Phys.org

The Baire theorem originally dealt with "sets of the first category" and "sets of the second category". Now we call them meagre sets and nonmeagre sets (or fat sets in dutch).

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meagre_set

micromass: Thanks for your reply with the citation in wikipedia. I tried reading it and concluded that the import of "category" or "meagre" is a rather detailed matter. That is why, I suppose, it is not explained in my monograph.

I shall have to remain ignorant, allay my impatience by turning my attention elsewhere at least for a while.

goedelite, I think you should be able to understand the first line of the "Definition" section on the wikipedia page linked to above. That's all you need to know to "know" what a meagre subset is.

Mr Vodka: Alas, there is much that I suppose I should be able to do but cannot. That a meagre set is in some sense small or negligible is reassuring in that I could assume there is a categorization of sets: meagre, teeny-weeny bikini, small, medium, large, economy and over-sized.

Related to Why category in Baire's Category Theorem?

1. Why is Baire's Category Theorem important in mathematics?

Baire's Category Theorem is important because it provides a powerful tool for proving the existence of solutions to certain mathematical problems. It also has applications in various branches of mathematics, including analysis, topology, and functional analysis.

2. What is the statement of Baire's Category Theorem?

Baire's Category Theorem states that in a complete metric space, a countable union of nowhere dense sets is nowhere dense. In other words, the entire space cannot be covered by a countable number of sets that are small in some sense.

3. How does Baire's Category Theorem relate to the concept of completeness?

Baire's Category Theorem relies on the concept of completeness, as it only holds in complete metric spaces. Completeness means that every Cauchy sequence in the space converges to a point in the space. This property is crucial for the proof of Baire's Category Theorem.

4. Can Baire's Category Theorem be extended to non-metric spaces?

Yes, there are generalizations of Baire's Category Theorem that apply to topological spaces that are not necessarily metric spaces. These generalizations involve the concept of a Baire space, which is a topological space that satisfies a certain property related to the Baire category theorem.

5. What are some examples of applications of Baire's Category Theorem?

Baire's Category Theorem has been used to prove the existence of solutions in various mathematical problems, such as the existence of solutions to certain differential equations and partial differential equations. It has also been used in the study of topological properties of function spaces and the existence of fixed points in certain mappings.