Why can we choose any arbitrary point to calculate the moment?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of choosing an arbitrary point to calculate moment and how the resulting moment will always be identical. However, it is important to note that the net moment is only equal when the net force is zero. Otherwise, the moment will differ depending on the chosen point.
xyz
Can someone explain, what means that we can choose any arbitrary point to calculate moment and result will always be identical?

If I choose point 1 ...20kg x 1m = 20kg x 3m...seesaw right side will fall down
If I choose point 2...20kg x 2m = 20kg x 2m...seesaw stay horizontal

So this two moments are not the same...Fulcrum point in nature is always just one point,how then we can choose any point we wont??
safgdfg.png

Physics news on Phys.org
xyz said:
If I choose point 1 ...20kg x 1m = 20kg x 3m...seesaw right side will fall down
If I choose point 2...20kg x 2m = 20kg x 2m...seesaw stay horizontal
There are 3 forces acting on the seesaw, not just 2.

A.T. said:
There are 3 forces acting on the seesaw, not just 2.

I know,there is reaction force on fulcrum which is equal to total weight (40kg)..

But what does mean that we can choose any point for calculate moment?

xyz said:
I know,there is reaction force on fulcrum which is equal to total weight (40kg)..
So why do you ignore it in your net moment calculations?

xyz said:
Can someone explain, what means that we can choose any arbitrary point to calculate moment and result will always be identical?

Not clear what you mean by "result." The net moment (torque) will be different depending on the choice of point. The more general statement is that net moment about any point is proportional to the rate of change of angular momentum about that point.

Here is an earlier thread with a similar discussion: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/rotational-equilibrium-torque-about-any-axis.440631/

pixel said:
The net moment (torque) will be different depending on the choice of point.
Unless it's zero, like in this case.

A.T. said:
Unless it's zero, like in this case.

Your comment led me to review some ancient history. If the net moment is zero about one point, it is not necessarily zero about all other points. That is only true if the net force is zero.

Here's a discussion of this: http://physics.stackexchange.com/qu...red-from-one-point-in-space-it-equals-zero-me

As shown there, in general the moment transfer from point A to point B is given by Mb = Ma + rabxF where rab is the position vector from a to b and F is the net force. So if Ma is zero and the net force is zero, then Mb is also zero.

pixel said:
That is only true if the net force is zero.
Good point, but that's also the case here.

pixel said:
Your comment led me to review some ancient history. If the net moment is zero about one point, it is not necessarily zero about all other points. That is only true if the net force is zero.

Here's a discussion of this: http://physics.stackexchange.com/qu...red-from-one-point-in-space-it-equals-zero-me

As shown there, in general the moment transfer from point A to point B is given by Mb = Ma + rabxF where rab is the position vector from a to b and F is the net force. So if Ma is zero and the net force is zero, then Mb is also zero.

Thanks pixel!
Now is clear to me...This is the key;

The sum of the torques on any point is equal, only when the sum of the forces is zero

Likes sophiecentaur

Related to Why can we choose any arbitrary point to calculate the moment?

1. Why is it important to calculate the moment of an object?

The moment of an object is an important physical quantity that helps us understand its rotational motion. It is used to calculate the force or torque needed to rotate an object, and is also useful in engineering and design applications.

2. Why can we choose any arbitrary point to calculate the moment?

The moment of an object is independent of the point chosen to calculate it. This is because the moment is a measure of the object's rotational motion around a fixed axis, and the distance from the chosen point to the axis is the same regardless of the point chosen.

3. Can we choose a point inside the object to calculate the moment?

Yes, we can choose any point inside or outside of the object to calculate the moment. This is because the moment takes into account the distance from the chosen point to the axis of rotation, not just the location of the point in relation to the object.

4. How can we determine the direction of the moment?

The direction of the moment is determined by the right-hand rule. If the fingers of the right hand curl in the direction of rotation, then the thumb points in the direction of the moment.

5. What factors affect the magnitude of the moment?

The magnitude of the moment is affected by the magnitude of the force applied, the distance from the force to the axis of rotation, and the angle between the force and the lever arm. Increasing any of these factors will result in a larger moment.