Why arthropod has not evolved to be huge?

• Thread starter Tyto alba
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Evolution
In summary, the main reason why arthropods have not evolved to be huge is because their organ systems are not capable of supporting such a development. This is due to various factors such as the risk of predation during molting, the limited support of appendages, and the inefficiency of their respiratory system. While there may be other contributing factors, these are the main points to consider when discussing the lack of giant arthropods.
Tyto alba
Q: Why arthropods have not evolved to be huge? 1. Homework Statement
Arthropods have not been able to achieve great size because
(1) the type of organ systems they possesses could not support·such a development
(2) they would be unable to successfully reproduce
(3) chitin is brittle and must be thick to bear the pull of muscles
(4) their vision is not good enough to hunt larger prey

2. The attempt at a solution

I went through berkeley.edu and figured out three points:

1.A large organism molting will have the huge risk of predation. It would need to hide rather frequently as the skeleton hardens.
2. The appendages which are mostly tubular chitinous structures won't support the shear increase in body volume which increase 8 folds with ever 2 fold increase in length.
3. The present respiratory system won't be efficient.

So,

(1) the type of organ systems they possesses could not support·such a development - Not all systems' a problem
(2) they would be unable to successfully reproduce -ruled out looks not an issue, early maturation, high number of offsprings
(3) chitin is brittle and must be thick to bear the pull of muscles-yeah, if the volume increases and the exoskeleton doesn't become thick enough it won't be able to support the muscles
(4) their vision is not good enough to hunt larger prey-looks not an issueSo answer 3 ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Tyto alba said:
Tyto alba said:
(1) the type of organ systems they possesses could not support·such a development - Not all systems' a problem
You just need one system to be not up to the task.

Tyto alba said:
Q: Why arthropods have not evolved to be huge?

I went through berkeley.edu and figured out three points:

1.A large organism molting will have the huge risk of predation. It would need to hide rather frequently as the skeleton hardens.
2. The appendages which are mostly tubular chitinous structures won't support the shear increase in body volume which increase 8 folds with ever 2 fold increase in length.
maybe there is no "right answer" to this question. Yours appear to be me reasonable conjectures. How can you sharpen them to something more scientific? For 3 can you make a comparison with other organism types? Aquatic and terrestrial. Can you beef up 2 with some more known scaling laws for physiological functions?

Bandersnatch said:
You just need one system to be not up to the task.

Though you have a point thinking about how the MCQs are solved I don't think one should go with this. Sometime when one is unsure one has to weigh the different options and having a plural form also knocks down one of them.

epenguin said:
maybe there is no "right answer" to this question.

I think you are right.

epenguin said:
How can you sharpen them to something more scientific? For 3 can you make a comparison with other organism types? Aquatic and terrestrial. Can you beef up 2 with some more known scaling laws for physiological functions?

To be honest I avoided doing that as it will take some good amount of time, going through the arthropods resp. sys and other related stuffs. I wanted to know that if my conjectures are right, I think they are now.
I'll return to this question once my impending Exams are over. Thank you :)

FWIW, the answer that came to my mind first after reading the thread title and before seeing any of the options, would be that the respiratory system would not work.

Maybe they were bigger in e.g. The cretaceous when everything was, different temperature and oxygen levels.

Related to Why arthropod has not evolved to be huge?

1. Why are arthropods generally small in size?

Arthropods have a hard exoskeleton made of chitin which limits their growth. As they grow, they must molt (shed their exoskeleton) in order to accommodate their increasing size. This process is very energy-intensive and puts them at risk of being preyed upon while they are vulnerable without their protective exoskeleton.

2. Are there any examples of giant arthropods in the past?

Yes, there have been some examples of giant arthropods in the past, such as the extinct giant dragonfly Meganeura which had a wingspan of over two feet. However, these giant arthropods existed during a time when the Earth's atmosphere had higher oxygen levels, which allowed for larger body sizes and more efficient respiration.

3. Could arthropods evolve to be larger in the future?

It is possible that arthropods could evolve to be larger in the future, but it would require significant changes in their environment. As mentioned before, higher oxygen levels could allow for larger body sizes. Additionally, changes in predators and competition could also play a role in the evolution of larger arthropods.

4. How do arthropods' small size benefit them?

Being small allows arthropods to hide and move easily through small spaces, making it easier for them to find food and shelter. Their small size also helps them conserve energy, as they have a smaller surface area-to-volume ratio, meaning they lose less heat and water compared to larger animals.

5. Is there a limit to how large an arthropod can grow?

There is no definite limit to how large an arthropod can grow, but their exoskeleton and respiratory system would need to adapt in order to support a larger body. As mentioned before, changes in their environment could also play a role in determining their maximum size. It is unlikely that arthropods would evolve to be as large as dinosaurs, as their anatomy and physiology are fundamentally different.