Why are SOnR and SLnR Lie Groups?

In summary, we have shown that SOnR and SLnR are Lie groups with dimensions of n(n-1)/2 and n^2 - 1, respectively.
jacobrhcp

Homework Statement

Prove SOnR and SLnR are Lie groups, and determine their dimensions.

SOnR = {nxn real hermitian matrices and determinant > 0}
SLnR = {nxn real matrices with determinant 1}

The Attempt at a Solution

We can see that SLnR is level set at zero of the graph of a smooth function, namely the function f:Rm-1 -> R, x -> det[x] - 1, which is smooth because it is just a polynomial in the coefficients of elements of SLnR.
We know that the graph of a smooth function is a smooth manifold, and by the implicit function theorem, so is a level set of a smooth function, and so is SLnR, in this case of dimension n^2 -1.

The above is a very short version of what took the better part of several afternoons.

I still have problems showing one thing:

I want to make a similar map for SOnR, to show that this is too a smooth manifold. What is such map? I imagine it being slightly more complicated, since I looked up its dimension to be n(n-1)/2. I figured SOnR is also the set {nxn matrices with determinant +1 or -1}, and hence be the union of the previous level set, with som other graph, but this would never yiel a dimension of n(n-1)/2

I feel quite lost, I hope someone can help me out.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

To prove that SOnR is a Lie group, we need to show that it is a smooth manifold and that the group operations (multiplication and inversion) are smooth maps.

To show that SOnR is a smooth manifold, we can use a similar approach as for SLnR. We can define the map f: Rm-1 -> R, x -> det[x] - 1, where x is a matrix in SOnR. This function is smooth because it is just a polynomial in the coefficients of the elements of SOnR. The level set of this function will be SOnR, and by the implicit function theorem, SOnR will be a smooth manifold of dimension n(n-1)/2.

To show that the group operations are smooth maps, we can use the fact that the group operations (multiplication and inversion) are just matrix operations, which are known to be smooth. Therefore, the group operations on SOnR will also be smooth.

To determine the dimensions of SOnR and SLnR, we can use the fact that the dimension of a Lie group is equal to the dimension of its Lie algebra. The Lie algebra of SOnR is the set of skew-symmetric matrices, which has dimension n(n-1)/2. The Lie algebra of SLnR is the set of traceless matrices, which has dimension n^2 - 1. Therefore, the dimensions of SOnR and SLnR are n(n-1)/2 and n^2 - 1, respectively.

Related to Why are SOnR and SLnR Lie Groups?

1. Why are SOnR and SLnR considered Lie Groups?

SOnR and SLnR are considered Lie Groups because they are both defined as a continuous group of matrices that form a differentiable manifold. This means that they have a smooth structure that allows for the application of calculus, making them useful in mathematical and scientific applications.

2. What is the significance of SOnR and SLnR in mathematics?

SOnR and SLnR are significant in mathematics because they are examples of classical Lie groups, which are groups of matrices that exhibit special properties and symmetries. These groups have important applications in fields such as differential geometry, physics, and group theory.

3. How are SOnR and SLnR related?

SOnR and SLnR are related as SOnR is a subgroup of SLnR. This means that all elements of SOnR are also elements of SLnR, but not all elements of SLnR are in SOnR. Additionally, both groups have similar properties, such as being connected and compact, but SLnR has an additional property of being simply connected.

4. Can you provide examples of SOnR and SLnR in real-world applications?

Yes, both SOnR and SLnR have real-world applications in various fields. For example, SOnR is used in physics to describe the symmetries of physical systems, such as rotations and reflections. SLnR is used in computer graphics to describe 3D transformations, as well as in economics to model market equilibrium.

5. What is the difference between SOnR and SLnR?

The main difference between SOnR and SLnR is that SOnR has a special property of being orthogonal, meaning its matrices have a determinant of 1. On the other hand, SLnR has a special property of being special linear, meaning its matrices have a determinant of 1. This difference also leads to other distinctions, such as SOnR having a subgroup of rotations, while SLnR has a subgroup of dilations.