Why Are Many Engineers Also Musicians?

• Music
  • Thread starter element626
  • Start date
In summary: say, Knoxville and you'll find that the local orchestra is almost entirely made up of cowboys.Engineers tend to be musicians. This statement is backed up by the fact that many musicians are also engineers.
element626
"Engineers tend to be musicians"

"Engineers tend to be musicians", my elderly geometry teacher said to me. "The last orchestra I played in, half of the musicians turned out to be from JPL".

Anyone want to comment on this?

Science news on Phys.org

element626 said:
"Engineers tend to be musicians", my elderly geometry teacher said to me. "The last orchestra I played in, half of the musicians turned out to be from JPL".

Obviously he was located very close to JPL. Doesn't sound like a respresentitive sample for comparison. Were he in Knoxville, he might conclude that cowboys tend to be musicians. :biggrin:

I noticed that many violin players tend to be musicians too. I probably just live around a bunch of violinists though.

QuarkCharmer said:
I noticed that many violin players tend to be musicians too. I probably just live around a bunch of violinists though.

I was on a music course a few years ago which included both instrumental players and singers. The instrumental players described the course as being for "musicians and singers" and the singers described it as being for "musicians and instrumental players".

I'm a software engineer and also play violin, viola and piano with local orchestras.

Whether this confirms your hypothesis depends on whether you consider "software engineer" to be an engineer.

Jonathan Scott said:
The instrumental players described the course as being for "musicians and singers" and the singers described it as being for "musicians and instrumental players".

Maybe both groups would agree on the description "for musicians and viola players." :wink:

When I was in engineering school, I worked my way through college in part by buying, selling, refurbishing electric guitars and amps, and playing rock and blues for weekend frat parties. After college, I worked some very demanding jobs in construction and in heavy industry. Between shift-work, weekend shut-downs, unexpected overtime, etc. There was no way that I could keep playing professionally, except as an occasional guest performer.

When I got back into a more 9-5 environment, I started hosting open-mic jams for extra cash on weekends. Another guy who helped out regularly with vocals and guitar-playing was Sears' local appliance service-man. Another guy who would stop in and play and sing (more country-rock influence) was the head mechanic at the local Polaris dealership. Anecdotal, at best, but it seems that in our little core group, there were some pretty talented people who also happened to have technical/troubleshooting skills.

I play guitar and majoring Computer Engineering :x

element626 said:

Make this a poll.

I was the principle trumpet for the New England Youth Symphony Orchestra until I "aged-out." I played for a few years doing weddings and military ceremonies (in SE NH there aren't any National Guard buglers, apparently). For a few years I played with two local wind symphonies, but I've since left. Now I play piano.

Ivan92 said:
I play guitar and majoring Computer Engineering :x

Everyone plays guitar. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

FlexGunship said:
Everyone plays guitar. :rollseyes:
Not well...

element626 said:
"Engineers tend to be musicians", my elderly geometry teacher said to me.

That's because they only have to get the job done.

wuliheron said:
That's because they only have to get the job done.
Get in, get out and get 'er done!

i would actually say ''musicians tend to be engineers'' because a lot of musicians are engineers, but not a lot of engineers are musicians.

Let me tell you:

Right now I am in 12th grade and through my high school experience i passed through lots of bands, I can tell you that out of 10 people i remember working with, 5 are/are going to be engineers, so there is a somewhat strong relationship

on the other hand, if you go to an engineering school and ask who is a musician, i don't think youll get more than the half of the population.oh and i play guitar, bass, drums and harmonica and plan to major in mecatronic, civil or maybe chemical engineering

I'm an EE and I play the guitar. Wow, that's the first time I've ever said I'm an EE. :p Still have to collect my degree from college though...

i was a high school brass instrument musician who went EE.

i think some would say there is a music/math link.

As a matter of fact, I was hanging out with a couple this weekend who said much the same thing (though it is stated backwards in the title).

One simple explanation is that most musicians are not professional musicians. The demand for professional musicians is much, much smaller than is the potential supply. So most musicians are (professionally) anything but musicians. If you live in an area chock full of engineers you'll find that most of the members of the local orchestra are engineers. Move to an area chock full of bankers and accountants and you'll find that most of the members of the local orchestra are bankers and accountants.

Whether there exists a math-music connection is debatable. Some say yes, absolutely; others say no measurable effect.

However the effect only appears to be one way. Apparently we technical people should study music because it will make us better mathematicians, engineers, scientists. Does that mean that musicians and other liberal arts students should study mathematics and science (real math and real science, not that physics for poets malarky) because that will make them better musicians and poets?

The answer apparently is a resounding NO! Math and science teachers have to dumb down their subjects to meaninglessness for the sake of those liberal arts students who have to take one entire class on a technical subject during their entire undergrad career.

Related to Why Are Many Engineers Also Musicians?

1. Why do engineers tend to be musicians?

There are a few possible reasons for this phenomenon. One is that both fields require a strong understanding of patterns, structures, and complex systems. Additionally, many engineers possess a strong mathematical and analytical skill set, which can be easily applied to learning and creating music.

2. Is there a specific type of music that engineers tend to be interested in?

There is no definitive answer to this question, as individuals may have different preferences. However, some studies have shown that engineers tend to have a higher interest in classical or instrumental music, as opposed to popular or mainstream genres.

3. Are there any famous examples of engineers who are also musicians?

Yes, there are many well-known engineers who also happen to be talented musicians. For example, Nikola Tesla, known for his contributions to electrical engineering, was also an accomplished musician and composer. Other notable examples include Brian May of the band Queen, who holds a PhD in astrophysics, and jazz musician and inventor Les Paul, who had a degree in electrical engineering.

4. Does being a musician have any benefits for engineers?

Yes, there are several potential benefits. One is that playing an instrument can improve cognitive abilities such as problem-solving and memory, which can be useful in the field of engineering. Additionally, music can serve as a creative outlet and a way to relieve stress for individuals who work in a highly technical and demanding profession.

5. Do engineers who are musicians excel in their fields?

There is no guarantee that being a musician will make someone a better engineer, as success in any field depends on a combination of skills, knowledge, and experience. However, some studies have shown that individuals who are trained in both music and engineering tend to excel in tasks that require high levels of creativity and analytical thinking.