Why are invariant tensors also Clebsch-Gordan coefficients?

In summary, invariant tensors are special tensors that are unchanged under the action of any generators. They are used in CG decomposition to decompose the product of two irreps into different irreps. It is claimed that invariant tensors are Clebsch-Gordan coupling constants for the product of two irreps because they can be used to isolate invariant sub-spaces in the space of tensor product. This allows for a decomposition of the product into symmetric and antisymmetric tensors, which can then be rewritten in terms of a numerical constant and the conjugate representation.
Primroses
On one hand, in reading Georgi's book in group theory, I comprehend the invariant tensor as a special "tensor", which is unchanged under the action of any generators. On the other hand, CG decomposition is to decompose the product of two irreps into different irreps.

Now it is claimed that invariant tensors are Clebsch-Gordan coupling constants for the product of two irreps. Why?

Thank you very much for your answer!

Physics news on Phys.org
Primroses said:
On one hand, in reading Georgi's book in group theory, I comprehend the invariant tensor as a special "tensor", which is unchanged under the action of any generators. On the other hand, CG decomposition is to decompose the product of two irreps into different irreps.

Now it is claimed that invariant tensors are Clebsch-Gordan coupling constants for the product of two irreps. Why?

Thank you very much for your answer!

Because they are invariants, we can use them to isolate invariant sub-spaces in the space of tensor product. Consider [itex]SU(3)[/itex] and, for example, decompose the tensor product [itex]\psi^{i} \phi^{j}[/itex] (of the fundamental representations, i.e. [itex][3] \otimes [3][/itex]) into symmetric and antisymmetric tensors [tex]\psi^{i} \phi^{j} = S^{i j} + A^{i j} ,[/tex] where [itex]2 S^{i j} = \psi^{i} \phi^{j} + \psi^{j} \phi^{i}[/itex] is symmetric and, therefore, has 6 independent components. And [itex]2 A^{i j} = \psi^{i} \phi^{j} - \psi^{j} \phi^{i}[/itex] is antisymmetric and, therefore, has 3 independent components. However, it is easy to see that [itex]A^{i j}[/itex] transforms exactly like [itex]\epsilon^{i j k} \chi_{k}[/itex], where [itex]\chi_{k}[/itex] belongs to the conjugate (anti-fundamental) representation [itex][\bar{3}][/itex]. Therefore, for some numerical constant [itex]a[/itex], you can rewrite your decomposition as [tex]\psi^{i} \phi^{j} = S^{i j} + a \epsilon^{i j k} \chi_{k} ,[/tex] which is basically [tex][3] \otimes [3] = [6] \oplus [\bar{3}] .[/tex]

Sam

Related to Why are invariant tensors also Clebsch-Gordan coefficients?

1. What are invariant tensors?

Invariant tensors are mathematical objects that remain unchanged under a certain operation or transformation. In physics, they are often used to describe physical quantities that are conserved or remain constant in different reference frames.

2. What are Clebsch-Gordan coefficients?

Clebsch-Gordan coefficients are mathematical coefficients used in quantum mechanics to describe the coupling of two angular momenta. They represent the probability amplitudes for the combination of two angular momenta to produce a total angular momentum state.

3. How are invariant tensors related to Clebsch-Gordan coefficients?

Invariant tensors can be expressed in terms of Clebsch-Gordan coefficients. This is because the mathematical properties of both objects are similar, and they are both used to describe physical quantities that remain unchanged under certain transformations.

4. Why are invariant tensors important in physics?

Invariant tensors are important in physics because they allow us to describe physical quantities that remain constant or conserved in different reference frames. This is crucial in understanding the fundamental laws of physics and making accurate predictions about the behavior of physical systems.

5. How are Clebsch-Gordan coefficients used in physics?

Clebsch-Gordan coefficients are used in physics to describe the coupling of two angular momenta, which is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics. They are also used in other areas of physics, such as in the study of symmetries and conservation laws.