Why Are Both Angles the Same in an Inclined Plane Pulley System?

• Thread starter xcgirl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Incline
In summary: The weight vector in the picture makes a right triangle with the left end of the incline. The incline makes an angle theta with respect to the horizontal. Now within that right triangle, you have 3 angles; theta, a 90 degree angle, and an angle that is 180 degrees minus 90 degrees minus theta, let's call this angle beta. You have drawn a line perpendicular to the incline that completes another right triange along with the weight vector. This triangle has a 90 degree angle (right beside the first 90 angle), and an angle at the top of the triangle that, when added to the angle
xcgirl

Homework Statement

Two packing crates of masses m1 = 10.0 kg and m2 = 3.00 kg are connected by a light string that passes over a frictionless pulley as in Figure P4.26. The 3.00 kg crate lies on a smooth incline of angle 42.0°. Find the acceleration of the 3.00 kg crate.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i know exactly how to do this problem, and i got the right answer. I just can't figure out why you are allowed to use the same angle to the ground of the inclined plane to solve the problem, as in this picture:

http://www.fearofphysics.com/Probs/mech041fig02.jpg

why are both theta's the same?

Physics news on Phys.org
anyone have an idea?

It simply geometry. The weight vector in your picture makes a right triangle with the left end of the incline. The incline makes an angle theta with respect to the horizontal. Now within that right triangle, you have 3 angles; theta, a 90 degree angle, and an angle that is 180 degrees minus 90 degrees minus theta, let's call this angle beta. You have drawn a line perpendicular to the incline that completes another right triange along with the weight vector. This triangle has a 90 degree angle (right beside the first 90 angle), and an angle at the top of the triangle that, when added to the angle beta, must equal 90 degrees. In our first triangle we know that theta and beta must add to 90 degrees. So for our second triangle, we know that the top angle, when added to beta, must equal 90 degrees, and from the first triangle, we know that theta fits this requirement. That's the explanation in words, but I would suggest that you toy around with the angles to get a feel for it.

Yes. Extend the blue line in your free body to the ground, such that it makes a ninety degree angle with it, and then you shoul see by some analysis of both triangles that the angles are equal.

Fudge around with it and see what you get.

Casey

Related to Why Are Both Angles the Same in an Inclined Plane Pulley System?

1. How do I calculate the mechanical advantage of an incline plane?

The mechanical advantage of an incline plane is equal to the length of the incline divided by the height of the incline. This ratio can also be expressed as the weight of the object being lifted divided by the force needed to lift it.

2. What is the difference between a fixed and movable pulley?

A fixed pulley is attached to a stationary object and only changes the direction of the force applied. A movable pulley is attached to the object being lifted and changes both the direction and magnitude of the force applied.

3. How do I calculate the mechanical advantage of a pulley system?

The mechanical advantage of a pulley system is equal to the number of supporting ropes. For example, a system with 4 supporting ropes has a mechanical advantage of 4.

4. How does friction affect the efficiency of an incline plane?

Friction can decrease the efficiency of an incline plane by converting some of the applied force into heat. This reduces the amount of force available to lift the object.

5. Is there a limit to the mechanical advantage of an incline plane or pulley system?

Yes, the mechanical advantage of an incline plane or pulley system cannot exceed the weight of the object being lifted. This is due to the conservation of energy and the fact that some energy is always lost due to factors such as friction.