Why am I struggling to find job opportunities after gaining industry experience?

• Thread starter Jamin2112
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Grad
In summary, the conversation discusses the challenges and frustrations of finding a job in the tech industry. The speaker shares their experience of being able to get interviews and job offers right after college, but struggling to even get an interview now, despite having more experience and skills. They attribute this to the emphasis on keywords in resumes and the role of HR bureaucrats in the hiring process. Others in the conversation offer their own insights and experiences, including the possibility of being overqualified or underqualified for certain job levels. Overall, the conversation highlights the illogical and competitive nature of the job market in the tech industry.
Jamin2112
The illogic of the career world amazes me. When I graduated college, with only a base knowledge of web infrastructure and programming, I shotgun-applied to tons of tech jobs that were outside my league, and was able to get interviews right and left, and I even made it to the final rounds of a few interviews. 2 years later, I have industry experience, feel way more confident in my overall tech skills, but can't get interviews for any of the types of jobs I almost got after graduated college.

Example: Soon after graduating college I mistakenly applied for a Level-3 software engineering position with my state's government. Somehow, I got an interview, passed and was invited to a final interview at which they seemed to seriously be considering me. Recently, with far more skills under my belt, I applied for 2 different Level-1 versions of the same position and was denied w/out even getting an interview.

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't believe that isn't more than just bad luck. Employers want experience. Can you freshen up your skill set? Keep applying!

Maybe you were written off as overqualified? Who would pay a lvl3 salary for a lvl1 job..

Likes Greg Bernhardt
A lot of it has to do with what keywords you used on your letter and resume. You have to remember that the person who receives your letter and resume is NOT the person who will conduct the interview or possibly become your boss. It is an HR bureaucrat. They have the hopeless task of weeding out resumes that aren't what the job was for, and for ensuring "fairness" among all job applicants.

I'm not blaming the bureaucrats themselves. The problem is that we have developed a "cure" for what used to be systems with prejudice, bias, and nepotism. The problem is that the cure may be at least as bad as the disease itself. These people aren't supposed to look at anything but the keywords you use. Even if they know something about the subject at hand and what you might bring to the table, they're not supposed to use their own judgement. They're supposed to give the interviewers exactly what they asked for.

So, read the application VERY carefully for the key words they're expecting and make sure those very same key words appear in your resume and letter. I am only guessing at why this crazy thing happened to you, but I'm willing to bet that you may have left out some experience or key-words that they were expecting someone to have.

I know that's not what you'd like to hear. You'd like to think that people actually READ the thing you slaved over, but they really don't. They just scan it for key words and experience.

Yeah, it makes my skin crawl too, but that's how the game is played these days.

Likes CalcNerd
Are you in the United States? You shouldn't have a hard time in the US with software. Our company alone is hiring 76 software engineers this winter (or what passes for winter here in southern Arizona) and a lot are for experienced engineers or scientists.

JakeBrodskyPE said:
A lot of it has to do with what keywords you used on your letter and resume. You have to remember that the person who receives your letter and resume is NOT the person who will conduct the interview or possibly become your boss. It is an HR bureaucrat. They have the hopeless task of weeding out resumes that aren't what the job was for, and for ensuring "fairness" among all job applicants.

I'm not blaming the bureaucrats themselves. The problem is that we have developed a "cure" for what used to be systems with prejudice, bias, and nepotism. The problem is that the cure may be at least as bad as the disease itself. These people aren't supposed to look at anything but the keywords you use. Even if they know something about the subject at hand and what you might bring to the table, they're not supposed to use their own judgement. They're supposed to give the interviewers exactly what they asked for.

So, read the application VERY carefully for the key words they're expecting and make sure those very same key words appear in your resume and letter. I am only guessing at why this crazy thing happened to you, but I'm willing to bet that you may have left out some experience or key-words that they were expecting someone to have.

I know that's not what you'd like to hear. You'd like to think that people actually READ the thing you slaved over, but they really don't. They just scan it for key words and experience.

Yeah, it makes my skin crawl too, but that's how the game is played these days.

This isn't true across the entire spectrum. At the engineering company I work for now the people who read my resume were the same people who conducted my interview (along with the extra set of people I'd prospectively be working for and my future boss was the main guy conducting the interview), and they were all technical people, scientists and engineers, not HR people. It's a smaller company that contracts to specific branches of government research labs though so size and the type of engineering one is doing has a factor.

You could be just in that awkward spot between tiers. When I lost my job as a software dev I had problems finding a new job. The little feedback I got seemed to revolve around that I was too qualified for lvl 1 jobs but under qualified for lvl 2 jobs.
Was very frustrating :(

clope023 said:
This isn't true across the entire spectrum. At the engineering company I work for now the people who read my resume were the same people who conducted my interview (along with the extra set of people I'd prospectively be working for and my future boss was the main guy conducting the interview), and they were all technical people, scientists and engineers, not HR people. It's a smaller company that contracts to specific branches of government research labs though so size and the type of engineering one is doing has a factor.

I agree, smaller companies don't have to adhere to the laws that larger firms have because it is too onerous. However the OP described a state government, the epitome of large firm behavior.

Have you tried applying to smaller firms? I found that when I was searching for employment, I had my best luck when I called the owners of the company, spoke with them, and send them my resume with a tailored cover letter. It is very draining work, but exciting. I made one contact, who after a year, we still talk every so often. He is the CEO of a UAV company on the west coast. You never know what will come out of making a contact. Doing nothing but applying facelessly will surely lead to a boring job. But with the economy it may have nothing to do with you - only the super rich recovered from the 2008 recession.

Related to Why am I struggling to find job opportunities after gaining industry experience?

1. What does it mean to be "washed up" as a non-recent graduate?

Being "washed up" as a non-recent graduate typically refers to being perceived as past your prime or no longer relevant in your field due to not having recent academic or professional experience.

2. Is being a non-recent graduate a disadvantage in the job market?

While it may be perceived as a disadvantage, it ultimately depends on the specific job market and the individual's qualifications and experience. Some industries actually value the experience and maturity that comes with being a non-recent graduate.

3. How can non-recent graduates stay relevant in their field?

Non-recent graduates can stay relevant by staying updated on current research and industry developments, networking with professionals in their field, attending conferences and workshops, and gaining new skills through online courses or volunteer work.

4. Are there any benefits to being a non-recent graduate?

Yes, there are many potential benefits to being a non-recent graduate. These can include having a more mature and well-rounded perspective, having a strong work ethic and time management skills, and having a diverse range of experiences and knowledge to draw from.

5. How can employers view non-recent graduates more positively?

Employers can view non-recent graduates more positively by recognizing the value of their experience and skills, providing opportunities for continued learning and growth, and avoiding age discrimination. It is important for employers to consider the individual's qualifications and potential rather than solely focusing on their graduation date.