Who would be interested in a weekly topic thread?

In summary, the participants of the conversation discuss the idea of having a weekly "topic" thread in the physics forum where members can discuss a specific topic chosen by a moderator. They believe this could lead to more focused and informative discussions. Some are in favor of the idea while others are skeptical about its success. It is suggested that a moderator or admin could organize these threads. The conversation ends with some confusion about the purpose of the proposed thread.
mathlete
Not in general discussions of course, but in the physics forum. After reading around here for a while, I notice that although the discussions are enjoyable, sometimes they are TOO specific. A lot of people come here to learn about different topics, wouldn't it be cool to have a weekly "topic" thread where the thread starter (a moderator, I would think) names a topic (anything, from gravity to the Navier Stokes Equations) and for a week there is a discussion on it, people adding information they know, asking questions, etc.? I think it would be nifty, personally!

Physics news on Phys.org
Great idea. :smile:

(Thats two of us then!)

I concur. How many is that? I can't count very well in my head. :-p

is this this week's topic? because I don't think it'll last a whole week.

Smurf said:
is this this week's topic? because I don't think it'll last a whole week.
No, this is just to see if anyone would be interested. It would be in General Physics anyway. I thought it was a good idea and I would enjoy it.. but *shrug*

sounds like you've hit some sort of happy note and minds are going to farter no can't take it,
yah i like it
sure let's do it

Weekly? I'm more of an "hourly" type of guy.

I'm in ... could perhaps eliminate some of the fragmentation going about around many topics & threads.

Sounds like a great idea.

There is no real need for a moderator to make this thread however. Unless of course, we could not organize a specific group of people to write these threads. It would be more conveniant however, if a moderator or admin took the opportunity.

What the heck are you all talking about? Keeping a topic going for a week? lol, if you like a topic keep posting to it. All you are proposing is requiring someone to post to a thread that would die out from lack of interest if they didn't.
If it is a good topic it will last, if it's not then it won't.

Related to Who would be interested in a weekly topic thread?

1. Who would be interested in a weekly topic thread?

Many people might be interested in a weekly topic thread, including those who are passionate about a particular subject or those who are seeking to learn more about a specific topic. Additionally, professionals in a certain field or students studying a particular subject may also find a weekly topic thread useful.

2. What type of topics would be discussed in a weekly topic thread?

The topics discussed in a weekly topic thread could vary greatly depending on the purpose of the thread. It could focus on a broad theme, such as science or technology, or it could delve into more specific topics within those categories. The topics could also be chosen by the participants of the thread or by a moderator.

3. How often would the topics change in a weekly topic thread?

This would depend on the format of the thread and the preferences of the participants. Some weekly topic threads may choose to stick with one topic for the entire week, while others may change topics every few days. It could also be a mix of both, with some topics lasting longer than others.

4. How would a weekly topic thread benefit its participants?

A weekly topic thread can provide a space for individuals to discuss and learn about a specific topic in-depth. It can also foster a sense of community among like-minded individuals and allow for the exchange of knowledge and ideas. Additionally, it can help individuals stay updated on current events and advancements in a particular field.

5. How can I participate in a weekly topic thread?

The best way to participate in a weekly topic thread is to actively engage with the topic and other participants. This could include sharing your own thoughts and opinions, asking questions, and responding to others. It may also be helpful to read any guidelines or rules set by the thread's moderator to ensure a positive and productive discussion.