Who Were the Boundary Folk in America's History?

• History
  • Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around boundary folk in America, specifically those on the edge or boundary - either internal or external. The discussion covers various time periods and boundaries, including aviation milestones such as the Wright Brothers' first flight and Chuck Yeager's breaking the sound barrier. There is also mention of other notable aircraft, such as the X-15 and the B-787 Dreamliner with its unique bowed wings. The conversation also touches on the USS Seawolf, a nuclear-powered attack submarine, and the A-3 airborne jamming aircraft. Finally, there is reference to the frequency 102.9 and its significance in various contexts.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Boundary folk in America ?

Science news on Phys.org
Got pot...?

Not had any for a long time:smile:

May be part of middle England is in America?

wolram said:
As in people on the edge?

What time period?

And which boundary - internal or external?

Astronuc said:
As in people on the edge?

What time period?

And which boundary - internal or external?

Hmm, an American aeroplane may give you a rough date.

Wright Brothers perhaps and their Wright Flyer they first flew at Kitty Hawk, NC. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wright_Flyer

Or Chuck Yeager in the Bell X-1.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuck_Yeager
In 1947 he became the first pilot to travel faster than sound Mach 1 in level flight and ascent. Although Scott Crossfield was the first man to fly faster than Mach 2, Yeager shortly thereafter exceeded Mach 2.4.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Scott_Crossfield
On November 20, 1953, he [Crossfield] became the first man to fly at twice the speed of sound as he piloted the Skyrocket to a speed of 1,291 mph (2,078 km/h, Mach 2.005). The Skyrocket D-558-II surpassed its intended design speed by 25 percent on that day. With 99 flights in the rocket-powered X-1 and D-558-II, he had — by a wide margin — more experience with rocketplanes than any other pilot in the world by the time he left Edwards to join North American Aviation in 1955. As North American's chief engineering test pilot, he played a major role in the design and development of the X-15 and its systems. Once it was ready to fly, it was his job to demonstrate its airworthiness at speeds ranging up to Mach 3 (2,290 mph). Because the X-15 and its systems were unproven, these tests were considered extremely hazardous. Crossfield flew 14 of the 199 total X-15 flight tests with most of these tests establishing and validating initial key parameters. Scott Crossfield not only designed the X-15 from the beginning, but introduced many innovations, to include putting engine controls of the rocket plane into the cockpit. Previously, all engine adjustments resulted from technicians making adjustments on the ground based upon results of flight profiles.
That would be a cool job to have. :cool:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_Skyrocket

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-15
Out of all the X-15 missions, two flights (by the same pilot) also qualified for the international FAI definition of a spaceflight by passing the 62.1 mile (100 km) mark.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-15#Highest_flights
Maximum speed: Mach 6.85 (4,520 mph / 7,274 km/h) :biggrin:

or

Space Ship One - Burt Rutan

Or the astronaut corp, who fligh into space - Mercucry, Gemini, Apollo, Space Shuttle/ISS.

Am I getting warmer?

A mundane passenger aeroplane.

I only included an aeroplane in the clue cause i like them :smile:

wolram said:
I only included an aeroplane in the clue cause i like them :smile:
:smile: There are a lot of mundane passenger aeroplanes.

Astronuc said:
:smile: There are a lot of mundane passenger aeroplanes.

These ones have bowed wings.

wolram said:
Mason and Dixon?

102.9 my head head hurts.

The clue is in America.

wolram said:
102.9 my head head hurts.
as in °F. You have a fever! and 102.9 is significant in an adult. Take ibuprofen or English equivalent, drink plenty of fluids (water and/or fruit juices), put a cold compress on your forehead.

The clue is in America.
So were Mason and Dixon.

Well the 787 from Boeing in the middle of America is supposed to have bowed wings, and so apparently will the 747-8.

The upturned wings resemble those of Boeing's upcoming 787 Dreamliner, a super-efficient design that's been exceeding the company's sales expectations thus far. The 747-8's new wings, along with quieter and cleaner-running jet engines, make it more environmentally friendly because it will burn a lot less fuel, with a corresponding reduction in exhaust. Expect the first freighter versions of this plane to be rolled out in 2009, with passenger versions to follow.
http://www.creax.com/Results.aspx?id=3982

Last edited by a moderator:
USS Seawolf has a length of 102.9 meters and was the Navy's second nuclear-powered attack submarine. Although it was decommissioned back in the 80s.

Yeah, this doesn't fit many of the clues though.

Moridin said:
USS Seawolf has a length of 102.9 meters and was the Navy's second nuclear-powered attack submarine. Although it was decommissioned back in the 80s.

Yeah, this doesn't fit many of the clues though.
:smile: Unless one considers diving planes wings.

I don't know what you've been smoking, Woolie, but I want some.

It has to be something in his chimney. :-p

Bowed wings, bo_______s

Leave my chimney out of this, i am trying to put it behind me..

Don't put it too close behind you, 'cause there ain't enough Preparation H in the world to handle that kind of hurt. :biggrin:

wolram said:
Bowed wings, bo_______s

The A-3 is an airborne jamming aircraft originally ordered by the US Navy during the 1950s. The type is now retired from front-line service though a handful are still used for testing purposes by the defense contractor Raytheon.

The A-3 was equipped with two Pratt & Whitney J57 turbojets like that pictured below. The J57 dates to the early 1950s and is rather antiquated by today's standards.

The PW J57 engine has an overall diameter of 102.9 cm.

http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question/conspiracy/q0265.shtml

Related to Boeing and/or 9/11?

Last edited:

Related to Who Were the Boundary Folk in America's History?

What is the definition of "Boundary Folk" in America's history?

Boundary Folk refers to the diverse group of people who lived on the borderlands of America, where cultures and identities intersected and mingled. These individuals often had complex and fluid identities, influenced by both their own cultural background and the cultures of their neighbors.

Who were the most prominent groups of Boundary Folk in America's history?

The most prominent groups of Boundary Folk in America's history include Native American tribes, Mexican Americans, African Americans, and European colonizers and settlers. These groups had a significant impact on shaping the cultural landscape of America's borderlands.

What were the cultural and social dynamics of living on the borderlands?

Living on the borderlands meant navigating a complex and ever-changing landscape of cultural exchange and conflict. The presence of multiple cultures often led to a blending of traditions and customs, but also to tension and violence as groups vied for resources and power.

How did the concept of "borderlands" evolve and change over time?

The concept of "borderlands" has evolved and changed over time, as the borders and boundaries of America shifted through history. Originally referring to the physical borders between nations, the term now encompasses a broader understanding of cultural and social borders and identities.

What impact did the Boundary Folk have on America's history and identity?

The Boundary Folk played a significant role in shaping America's history and identity. Their interactions and cultural exchanges have influenced language, cuisine, music, and other aspects of American culture. Additionally, their struggles and resilience have contributed to the diverse and complex identity of America as a nation.