Who Was the Last Castrato Singer in the Sistine Chapel?

• Thread starter arildno
  • Start date
In summary, this guy is terrible and the idea of singers undergoing huge numbers of weird surgical procedures for their fans has died out.
arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Alessandro Moreschi (1858-1922) was the last castrato singer in the Sistine Chapel.

In 1902 and 1904, he made some recordings, so that we still can hear how a castrato singer sounded like.

Here is his wikipedia biography:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alessandro_Moreschi

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
For a moment there I thought this was going to be about a castrato that was still alive. I was beginning to wonder when they had stopped doing that.

Good job that the idea of singers undergoing huge numbers of weird surgical procedures for their fans has died out.

mgb_phys said:
Good job that the idea of singers undergoing huge numbers of weird surgical procedures for their fans has died out.

Dolly Parton is still around, isn't she?

arildno said:
Alessandro Moreschi (1858-1922) was the last castrato singer in the Sistine Chapel.

That guy is terrible!

I took singing lessons to learn how to project from my diaphragm and did a lot of breathing exercises but it hasn't helped, I still can't sing well. What's my next move?

jimmysnyder said:
I still can't sing well. What's my next move?
Two bricks?

Never mind. My voice coach just told me. :eek: I've decided I don't have an ear for music anyway. Not since I tried to learn the post-impressionist painting style.

It's not bad, but I really prefer Sarah Brightman's version. Unfortunately, although Sarah has many versions of Ave Maria on YouTube, I don't think they are the good ones...so I had to upload this myself

http://www.mediafire.com/?fryiez5nywn

Last edited by a moderator:
jimmysnyder said:
Never mind. My voice coach just told me. :eek: I've decided I don't have an ear for music anyway. Not since I tried to learn the post-impressionist painting style.

Do you sing through the nose? Certainly wouldn't want to cut off the nose to spite the voice.

TheStatutoryApe said:
Do you sing through the nose? Certainly wouldn't want to cut off the nose to spite the voice.
I'm running out of things to cut off. My legs were blown off in the war so I had to lay down my arms.

TheStatutoryApe said:

speaking of which, i thought this thread was going to be about michael jackson. there was once a rumor that he was a castrato.

Related to Who Was the Last Castrato Singer in the Sistine Chapel?

What is a castrato singer?

A castrato singer is a male singer who has been castrated before reaching puberty, which results in the retention of a high-pitched voice. This practice was commonly used in the 16th to 18th centuries in Italy to create a unique type of singing voice.

When did the last castrato singer perform?

The last known castrato singer to perform publicly was Alessandro Moreschi, who performed in 1913 at the Sistine Chapel in Vatican City. However, he was not the last castrato singer to exist, as the practice was banned in Italy in 1870 and castrations for musical purposes were no longer allowed.

What was the reason for castrating male singers?

The practice of castrating male singers was believed to produce a unique singing voice that combined the range and power of a male voice with the clarity and agility of a female voice. This was highly valued in opera and sacred music during the Baroque period.

Did the castrato singers face any health issues?

Yes, castrato singers often faced numerous health issues due to the castration procedure, such as hormonal imbalances, skeletal deformities, and respiratory problems. They also faced social stigma and discrimination due to their castrated status.

Why did the practice of castrating male singers stop?

The practice of castrating male singers was banned in Italy in 1870 due to its inhumane nature and the growing disapproval of the public. Additionally, advancements in vocal training and the rise of female opera singers made the need for castrato singers obsolete.