Who Was the First Man on the Moon?

• News
  • Thread starter Andre
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rip
In summary, Neil Armstrong, the first man on the moon, has died at the age of 82. He was a hero for his role in the Apollo 11 mission, which was the first time a human being set foot on the moon. Rest in peace.
Andre
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/08/25/us-usa-neilarmstrong-idUSBRE87O0B020120825

Former U.S. astronaut, Neil Armstrong, the first man on the moon, has died at the age of 82, U.S. media reported on Saturday.

I remember vividly the small step of a man.

Rest in Peace

Physics news on Phys.org
RIP Neil Armstrong - 1st man on the moon

First man on moon Neil Armstrong dead at 82: NBC
http://news.yahoo.com/first-man-moon-neil-armstrong-dead-82-u-191252056.html

I remember watching the moon landing - in black and white.

As commander of the Apollo 11 mission, Armstrong became the first human to set foot on the moon on July 20, 1969. As he stepped on the moon's dusty surface, Armstrong said: "That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind."

. . . .

Last edited by a moderator:

Astronuc said:
I remember watching the moon landing - in black and white.

So did I:

attachment.php?attachmentid=19796&d=1248145110.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=19797&d=1248145110.jpg

It was in the dormitory lounge of the college where I was taking a summer-school class between my sophomore and junior years of high school. Most students didn't have TVs in their rooms in those days, so we all gathered in the lounge that evening and I parked my camera on a small tripod in front of the TV set, at a bit of an angle so as not to block the direct view.

I don't believe that it was broadcast in color on tv back then. I watched it at my best friend's house.

R.I.P Neil

My wife wants to know, if they can put a man on the moon, why can't they put all men on the moon? RIP Neil Armstrong.

Evo said:
I don't believe that it was broadcast in color on tv back then.

Right, the transmissions from the lander were B&W, probably because of limited radio bandwidth, or limited weight capacity for the camera. I'm pretty sure at least one of the preceding moon-orbiting Apollo missions had a color TV camera on board, in the command module, in which case Apollo 11 would have had one, too. I think I remember seeing those earlier broadcasts at home. Or maybe I'm confusing them with later Apollo missions.

Last edited:
I remember being glued to the TV watching the LM descend and then suddenly horrified as it swung violently to the right for no apparent reason. Nobody else around me seemed to notice, but it turned out what the low resolution cameras didn't show was a surface covered in boulders. He had maybe 30 seconds of extra fuel for the landing and had to find a safe spot fast. Not being one to leave anything to chance he had practiced in the simulator maybe 300,000 times and the rest is history.

Last edited:
Andre said:
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/08/25/us-usa-neilarmstrong-idUSBRE87O0B020120825

I remember vividly the small step of a man.

Rest in Peace
What an amazing accomplishment.

Thanks for commanding Apollo 11. RIP Neil Armstrong

It was an extremely memorable day for me. We had it on TV too but I was highly distracted after having witnessed this crash only hours earlier:

R-118
20 - 7 - 1969
Verongelukt te vliegveld Teuge, schade-categorie 5; vliegtuig volledig verbrand (crashed at airport Teuge, damagae category 5 (total); Aircraft totally burned.

One day, we will return to the age where no living human has walked on the moon. That's a little depressing.
65_years.png

From xkcd. http://xkcd.com/893/

jtbell said:
So did I:

attachment.php?attachmentid=19796&d=1248145110.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=19797&d=1248145110.jpg
Amazing pictures!

R.I.P. Neil Armstrong.

The father of one of the kids in the neighborhood got some movie reel footage of the landing taken from the module. IIRC, it was large frame film, something like 65 mm. We used to watch it at his house. It was pretty cool.

The first Moon landing was incredible. I was always a nut about the space program, from its inception.

Summer of '69 , wow, golden memories. My buddy and I happened to be passing through his house and caught the landing. It could have been color, I would not have known and we never though of it, as none of us had a color tv! I spend my time activly avoiding indoors and TV in those days so we didn't hang around long.

I too grew up with the space program, I recall having a model of the X-15. Don't hear much about those days of space program.

Go Curisoity!

Jimmy Snyder said:
My wife wants to know, if they can put a man on the moon, why can't they put all men on the moon? RIP Neil Armstrong.

This may make her sad:
http://what-if.xkcd.com/7/

:)

I was off my rocker while watching Curiosity's live landing... I can only imagine the excitement behind witnessing the first human being to ever walk on the moon complete his feat; almost as if you were there yourself.

It's sad to see him go, but it's better to celebrate his achievements than it is to mourn over his passing.

Meanwhile, on NBC:

http://punditkitchen.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/political-pictures-and-heres-how-nbc-reported-the-news-today.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
RIP Neil Armstrong.

Your footprint and the lunar module on moon represents the enormous capability of human beings.

micromass said:
Meanwhile, on NBC:

Picard+is+an+animal+_e4b98fb66e9de49556dda7ddf270cc3e.jpg

Godspeed Mr. Armstrong. Thank you for the hope that you gave us all.

Related to Who Was the First Man on the Moon?

1. Who was the first man on the moon?

The first man on the moon was Neil Armstrong, an American astronaut who was a part of the Apollo 11 mission in 1969.

2. What did Neil Armstrong say when he first stepped on the moon?

Neil Armstrong famously said, "That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind" when he first stepped on the moon.

3. How many people have walked on the moon?

A total of 12 people have walked on the moon, all of whom were astronauts on the Apollo missions between 1969 and 1972.

4. Who was the second person to walk on the moon?

The second person to walk on the moon was Buzz Aldrin, who was also a part of the Apollo 11 mission with Neil Armstrong.

5. When was the first moon landing?

The first moon landing was on July 20, 1969, as a part of the Apollo 11 mission. Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin landed on the moon while Michael Collins orbited above in the command module.