Who to use as references for physics faculty applications?

In summary, the conversation discusses a post-doc in condensed matter theory who is about to start applying for faculty positions and is unsure of who to use as their references. The advice is to discuss with their present supervisor and consider using their PhD adviser and an experimentalist they have collaborated with. The conversation also delves into the competitiveness of academic job applications and the potential benefits of also applying for non-academic positions. One person shares stories of colleagues with impressive academic achievements who are struggling to find jobs. The conversation digresses briefly to discuss the number of applicants for academic jobs and the difference in application numbers between academic and non-academic positions.
BeauGeste
Hello,

I am a post-doc in condensed matter theory (about to finish my 3rd year of my first post-doc) who is about to start applying for faculty positions. I am not sure who to use for my three references. Of course I will use my current adviser. Is it typical/ok to use my PhD adviser as well? For my third I consider using an experimentalist from my current department who I have collaborated with some.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you should be having this discussion with your present supervisor. There is not a one size fits all answer: it depends a lot on where you will be applying. You need to stand out from your peers, but the way to do that varies enormously from department to department.

Just an honest question: do you really think it is worthwhile to spend time applying instead of trying to get a job outside of academia?

One of my colleagues has spend a year applying everywhere, and no replies so far. He is also a 3d year postdoc, got his personal external funding for both PhD and postdoctoral research, has 40+ high impact papers, of which about 10 are in Nature/Science/PRL, he also initialised a new scientific subfield (as a single author) and has solid teaching experience.

Another of my friends has just finished his PhD with 40+ high impact papers of which 5+ are Nature/Science/PRL. He has many postdoctoral years ahead of him to get much better results, but even HE is worried about his academic future.

Do you think it's worthwhile to apply for faculty positions, when there are 1000+ applicants, of which 30+ are awe-inspiring research powerhouses?

p.s. I did not mean to sound aggressive, it's just an honest question :)

Last edited:
You sure sound bitter.

There are not 1000+ applicants per position. Knock off a zero and you're closer.

Furthermore, while the odds of getting a job you apply for are small, the odds of getting a job you don't apply for are smaller.

Vanadium 50 said:
You sure sound bitter.

There are not 1000+ applicants per position. Knock off a zero and you're closer.

Furthermore, while the odds of getting a job you apply for are small, the odds of getting a job you don't apply for are smaller.
Sorry, my bad =) I guess I've just got demotivated by stories from my friends, as I was really aspiring to become a professor myself.

As for 1000+ applications, that can sometimes be the case in leading universities. No so well-known universities have about 100 applications, I concur.

Corpuscule said:
Just an honest question: do you really think it is worthwhile to spend time applying instead of trying to get a job outside of academia?

One of my colleagues has spend a year applying everywhere, and no replies so far. He is also a 3d year postdoc, got his personal external funding for both PhD and postdoctoral research, has 40+ high impact papers, of which about 10 are in Nature/Science/PRL, he also initialised a new scientific subfield (as a single author) and has solid teaching experience.

Another of my friends has just finished his PhD with 40+ high impact papers of which 5+ are Nature/Science/PRL. He has many postdoctoral years ahead of him to get much better results, but even HE is worried about his academic future.

Are you sure about that? 40+ high impact papers after having just finished a PhD? Even if he spread that out over 7 years that's over 5 papers per year... coming from a student.

I even find 40+ hard to believe for a 3rd year post-doc.

There are people who do publish this prolifically, but they are usually professors/principle investigators who have an a small army of students and post-docs under their direction.

Corpuscule said:

Do you think it's worthwhile to apply for faculty positions, when there are 1000+ applicants, of which 30+ are awe-inspiring research powerhouses?

p.s. I did not mean to sound aggressive, it's just an honest question :)

It's not like it would take that much time to apply to all academic openings. A classmate of mine has applied to every High Energy Physics postdoc position in the last year... which, is, like, 15 openings. Granted, CV applications are a bit more complicated, but 15 applications is what you can expect to send out to industry jobs on a Saturday (or full weekend). Even if you're taking the time to contact the company first, to talk with or meet with someone before you submit your application, you'll still be able to submit vastly more non-academic openings than you will for academic positions.

Basically, there are orders of magnitude differences between the number of academic jobs for physicists compared to non-academic jobs that potentially include physicists. If you're interested academic jobs, then there is nothing to lose applying to academic openings as long as you're supplementing that with non-academic applications.

Can we get back to the OP's topic please?

On-topic:

I would like to apologise for intruding on this discussion. I agree with Vanadium 50 that asking a supervisor about the references would probably be the best solution.

Off-topic:
Choppy said:
Are you sure about that? 40+ high impact papers after having just finished a PhD? Even if he spread that out over 7 years that's over 5 papers per year... coming from a student.

I even find 40+ hard to believe for a 3rd year post-doc.

There are people who do publish this prolifically, but they are usually professors/principle investigators who have an a small army of students and post-docs under their direction.
7-9 high impact papers per year every year starting 1 year before he started his PhD. I'm not sure if it works, but you might be able to check it here: http://apps.webofknowledge.com/Cita...dPmNrgRUNO&page=1&cr_pqid=12&viewType=summary
AccAcc said:
It's not like it would take that much time to apply to all academic openings. A classmate of mine has applied to every High Energy Physics postdoc position in the last year... which, is, like, 15 openings. Granted, CV applications are a bit more complicated, but 15 applications is what you can expect to send out to industry jobs on a Saturday (or full weekend). Even if you're taking the time to contact the company first, to talk with or meet with someone before you submit your application, you'll still be able to submit vastly more non-academic openings than you will for academic positions.

Basically, there are orders of magnitude differences between the number of academic jobs for physicists compared to non-academic jobs that potentially include physicists. If you're interested academic jobs, then there is nothing to lose applying to academic openings as long as you're supplementing that with non-academic applications.
I am sorry for the confusion, he only applied for tenure track faculty positions, and only in USA/Europe. I am sure he could get a different job if he wanted. The OP however seems to ask about faculty positions as well.

Related to Who to use as references for physics faculty applications?

1. Who should I ask to be my references for a physics faculty application?

The best references to ask for a physics faculty application are current or former professors or colleagues who have a good understanding of your academic background and research experience.

2. How many references should I have for a physics faculty application?

It is recommended to have at least three references for a physics faculty application. Having more than three references can be beneficial, as it provides a broader perspective on your qualifications.

3. Can I use references from outside of academia for a physics faculty application?

While it is ideal to have references from within academia, it is acceptable to use references from outside of academia if they can speak to your skills and qualifications for a faculty position in physics.

4. Should I ask for permission before listing someone as a reference for a physics faculty application?

Yes, it is important to ask for permission before listing someone as a reference for a physics faculty application. This allows them to prepare and provide a strong recommendation for you.

5. How important are references for a physics faculty application?

References play a significant role in a physics faculty application, as they provide insight into your qualifications, research experience, and potential as a faculty member. It is important to choose references who can provide a strong and positive endorsement of your skills and abilities.