Who really understands time dilation and relativity?

In summary: By observing two individuals in space, one being much larger than the other, it can be seen that time and space are relative to one's perspective. This is the concept of time dilation in the theory of relativity. The size and motion of the observer are not important, but rather their perspective and relative state. This experiment does not have anything to do with imaginary giants, but rather illustrates the concept of relativity in a simple way. It is important to understand this concept before trying to apply it to other thought experiments.
dutchiexx
hi,so i posted a thought experiment on other fourms and it seems everyone is misunderstanding the big picture of the experiment.i would like to verify that i really understand relativity and time dilation.i will explain a thought experiment in order to exsplain my understanding of relativity in a simple way.

now, imagine there two people floating in space,one person is next to the sun and he is so huge that the sun and Earth are the size of marbles compared to him,the second person is floating above earth, and he is the size of a normal human.now imagine that the huge person put his hand above the sun and swung it towards the earth, now, from the large persons perspective, how long would his hand seem to take to reach earth?about the same amount of time it takes to slap someone in the face right?
now imagine this happening from the normal sized humans perspective, how long would it seem for the huge hand to reach the earth?

i believe that, from the normal sized human perspective, the large hand would be moving slowly and take hours to reach Earth since nothing can travel faster then light (the light from the sun takes about 8 mins to reach the earth)

and i belive, (from the large persons perspective) that his hand only took a split second to reach earth,

so this means that the normal sized human experinced hours of time passing before the hand reached earth,
and that the large person only experinced a single second or less before his hand reached earth.

its as if time and space litterally changes itself based on ones perspective in order to keep the speed of light a constant speed.

Physics news on Phys.org
This seems not to be about relativity, but rather the physiology of imaginary giants.

If this is actually about relativity, perhaps you can recast your question in a way that makes this apparent.

lmao,are you joking?

when eistein said he imagined himself riding on light did scientist say "hey wait, you can't ride on light, that's impossibble!)
no they did not.but that is what your doing.

and this exsperiment has everything to do with relativity.
it does not matter if being a giant is possble, it does not matter if you can't just float in space and survive, none of that matters at all and yet that's the only thing you can pick out,you missing the big picture man,here is the definition of time dilation

In the theory of relativity, time dilation is a difference of elapsed time between two events as measured by observers either moving relative to each other or differently situated from a gravitational mass or masses.now if you read everything i said and acually imagine this in your head,you would see,

i am basicly saying that time and space is relative to ones perspective,how does that not relate to relativity?are you saying that eistein is wrong when he said time and space are relative?do you know what being relative means?

dutchiexx said:
when eistein said he imagined himself riding on light did scientist say "hey wait, you can't ride on light, that's impossibble!)
Einstein himself concluded that it's impossible.

yes,anyone with a brain will know its impossible to ride on light, that does not mean what he was saying about relativity is false, i don't see how you don't under stand what I am saying.how old are you?
are these forums just filled with kids?thats the only reason i can think of.

dutchiexx said:
i would like to verify that i really understand relativity and time dilation.
Sorry dutchiexx, I don't think that you do. Your example has nothing to do with relativity. Relativity is not about observers of different sizes, it is about observers in different states of motion.

One reason that is important is because two inertial observers are symmetrical, either is entitled to say that they are at rest. A big and a small observer are not symmetrical, both will agree who is bigger and who is smaller.

Your example completely misses the point of relativity.

dutchiexx said:
how old are you?
are these forums just filled with kids
Please do not solicit personal information here. Your question has been answered.

Thread closed

Related to Who really understands time dilation and relativity?

1. What is time dilation?

Time dilation is a phenomenon in which time appears to pass at a different rate for objects in different frames of reference, according to the theory of relativity. This means that time can appear to move slower or faster depending on the relative speed and gravitational fields of the objects.

2. How does time dilation affect our daily lives?

Time dilation only becomes noticeable at extremely high speeds or in strong gravitational fields, such as near black holes. So, in our daily lives, the effects of time dilation are negligible and not noticeable.

3. Who first discovered time dilation and relativity?

The concept of time dilation and relativity was first proposed by Albert Einstein in his theory of special relativity in 1905. It was later refined and expanded upon in his theory of general relativity in 1915.

4. Can time dilation be proven through experiments?

Yes, time dilation has been proven through numerous experiments, including the Hafele-Keating experiment which demonstrated the effects of time dilation on atomic clocks during high-speed travel.

5. How does time dilation relate to the concept of space-time?

Time dilation is a consequence of the interconnected nature of space and time, as described by the theory of relativity. In this theory, space and time are not separate entities, but rather intertwined dimensions that are affected by the presence of matter and energy.