Who Did Bill Gates Consider His Hero?

• Thread starter bhobba
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Feynman
In summary, Bill Gates considers Richard Feynman to be his hero and one of the greatest scientists and teachers. However, he also notes that Feynman was not a very successful mentor and produced a low number of PhD students. Gates recommends reading Feynman's autobiography "Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!" as it showcases his excitement and curiosity towards physics. Feynman's passion and enthusiasm serve as an inspiration for Gates' own curiosity.
Years ago someone asked Bill Gates who his hero was.

It was Feynman (as he is one of mine along with Von Neumann and Lev Landau).

He has done an interesting post about Feynman's teaching:
https://www.gatesnotes.com/Education/The-Best-Teacher-I-Never-Had

Feynman was a great scientist and teacher - but a terrible mentor as the dismal number of PhD students he produced attests to.

Thanks
Bill

Likes DennisN
Physics news on Phys.org
Every aspiring physicist should read "Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!" He'll forever be a favorite on PF.

Likes axmls, collinsmark, dlgoff and 1 other person
lisab said:
Every aspiring physicist should read "Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!" He'll forever be a favorite on PF.

The great thing about Feynman, whether you're reading his autobiography or his lecture notes or whatever, is that you always get the sense that when he talks about physics or science in general, he's like a kid in a candy store. He has a genuine excitement and youthful curiosity about him that never seemed to go away, and I've never seen it in someone as much as him. I'd be lying if I didn't list him as one of the main inspirations for my own curiosity.

Related to Who Did Bill Gates Consider His Hero?

1. What is the connection between Bill Gates and Feynman?

Bill Gates has cited Richard Feynman, a Nobel Prize-winning physicist, as one of his biggest inspirations and influences in both his personal and professional life. Gates has often referenced Feynman's approach to problem-solving and his curiosity-driven mindset as key factors in his own success.

2. How has Feynman influenced Bill Gates?

Feynman's emphasis on critical thinking, creativity, and intellectual curiosity has greatly influenced Gates' approach to problem-solving and innovation. Gates has also been inspired by Feynman's passion for learning and his interdisciplinary approach to science and technology.

3. What is Bill Gates' favorite quote from Feynman?

Gates has stated that his favorite quote from Feynman is "The pleasure of finding things out." This quote reflects Feynman's love for learning and his belief that the pursuit of knowledge should be driven by curiosity and enjoyment.

4. How has Feynman's legacy impacted the scientific community?

Feynman's contributions to physics, particularly in the fields of quantum mechanics and particle physics, have greatly influenced the scientific community and continue to be studied and applied today. His legacy also extends beyond his scientific achievements, as he is remembered for his passion for teaching and inspiring future generations of scientists.

5. In what ways has Bill Gates honored Feynman's legacy?

Gates has honored Feynman's legacy by funding and supporting various scientific research and education initiatives, including the Feynman Prize in Nanotechnology, which recognizes outstanding contributions in the field. Gates has also referenced Feynman's work and philosophy in his own writings and speeches, further spreading awareness of his legacy.