Which way does this coil turn in a magnetic field?

maxelcat
Homework Statement
A plan of a moving coil meter is given and a side view which shows direction of B field and current. We are asked to find the direction of rotation.
Relevant Equations
Flemings left hand rule
I use FLHR and the plan diagram. This suggests that the left hand side of the coil is going down. I have added annotations to this, which agree with the mark scheme which then goes onto suggest that the coil turns clockwise. To me though this would make it go anti clockwise.

So... what am I missing please

Attachments

• mcm.jpg
    mcm.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 8
Physics news on Phys.org
maxelcat said:
I use FLHR and the plan diagram. This suggests that the left hand side of the coil is going down. I have added annotations to this, which agree with the mark scheme
Agree. Left edge of coil moves 'into page' (down); right edge moves 'out of page' (up).

maxelcat said:
then goes onto suggest that the coil turns clockwise. To me though this would make it go anti clockwise.
So... what am I missing please
The direction (CW or ACW) depends on which end of the coil (top or bottom) the pointer is attached to (so which end you are looking at). The diagram doesn't show this. I would (like you) assume the pointer is attached to the bottom, but I guess that's not the intention.

But you have understood the physics correctly, which is what really counts!

Minor edits.

Likes maxelcat
thanks for your reply. Having now looked at the examiners report, and bearing in mind this was 2021 when things seemed to be up in the air exam wise, I think they wanted you to justify - so if you said something along the lines of 'looking at the plan view into the page' or 'assuming the pointer is on the bottom end of the side view'.... then you could answer acw etc