Which Type of Geothermal Power System is the Best?

In summary, geothermal power plants use three commonly used systems: dry steam, flash steam, and binary cycle. The efficiency of these plants is not necessarily determined by the type of system, but rather by how well they are able to deal with contaminants in the steam. This can result in frequent shutdowns for cleaning. While binary cycle plants have extra equipment to ensure cleaner steam, all plants are susceptible to fouling and require regular maintenance. Tasting water from geothermal springs can be an interesting experience, and there are many located in NY.
Engineering news on Phys.org
None of the three are necessarily more efficient.

Dry steam versus flash steam depends on the conditions under the ground. How hot is it down there? If hot enough, the fluid comes out of the ground as steam. If cooler, it comes out as hot water.

The biggest design decision for a geothermal power plant is how to deal with minerals and contaminants in the steam. Have you ever tried to taste the water that comes up in a geothermal spring?

Contaminants foul the turbine blades and cause the efficiency of the turbine to degrade over time. Other components, heat exchangers, flash tanks, and piping can also be fouled by contaminants. Sometimes that requires frequent shutdowns to clean the components.

The binary cycle type of plant includes extra equipment and extra cost to make sure that the steam through the turbine is clean and free of contaminants. Still everything on the primary side of the heat exchanger needs cleaning, but that's easier than cleaning the turbine.

So the short answer to your question, is that cycle efficiency in a geothermal plant is not as important as dealing with contaminants.

Likes Asymptotic and Buzz Bloom
I have never tried to taste the water from a spring because I live in NY (USA), but it sounds like an interesting experience from what you describe! Thank you for your helpful explanation and for your time.

Go to Saratoga Springs NY or Sharon Springs NY for mineral water.

chemisthypnos said:
I have never tried to taste the water from a spring because I live in NY (USA), but it sounds like an interesting experience from what you describe! Thank you for your helpful explanation and for your time.
I'd pass no fewer than two springs (four, if counting two spring fed ponds) on the mile walk home from our school bus stop. Located a crowd-sourced map of spring locations; the closest shown on it is fifteen miles away, bit I know of at least a dozen other springs betwixt here and there. Not thermal springs, mind you ;)

Wow. I never realized that there were so many in NY. I guess that you learn something new everyday.

Related to Which Type of Geothermal Power System is the Best?

1. What are the different types of geothermal power systems?

There are three main types of geothermal power systems: dry steam, flash steam, and binary cycle.

2. How do these geothermal power systems work?

Dry steam systems use steam directly from underground reservoirs to power turbines and generate electricity. Flash steam systems use hot water from underground to create steam, which then powers turbines. Binary cycle systems use a secondary fluid, such as isobutane, to transfer heat from underground water to a generator.

3. Which type of geothermal power system is the most efficient?

The efficiency of geothermal power systems depends on various factors, including the temperature and flow rate of the underground reservoir, the technology used, and the location of the power plant. Generally, binary cycle systems tend to be the most efficient, followed by flash steam systems, and then dry steam systems.

4. What are the advantages of each type of geothermal power system?

Dry steam systems have been used the longest and are the most well-established technology. Flash steam systems have a lower environmental impact as they do not emit any gases. Binary cycle systems can be used in lower temperature reservoirs and have a higher potential for growth in the future.

5. Which type of geothermal power system is the most cost-effective?

The cost-effectiveness of geothermal power systems depends on the specific location and resources available. Generally, dry steam systems can be the most cost-effective due to their simplicity and well-developed technology. However, in certain locations, binary cycle systems may be more cost-effective due to their ability to utilize lower temperature reservoirs.