Which situation will induce the greatest current flow?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the concept of induced emf and how it is proportional to the change in flux over time, rather than just the flux divided by time. The conversation also raises the question of which situation would cause the most change in flux in a given period of time.
JustinLiang

Homework Statement

Question 30 from
http://www.bced.gov.bc.ca/exams/search/grade12/english/release/exam/0708PH_p.pdf

Homework Equations

I really don't know but here are some that I think can be used:
E=-N(flux)/t
B=(permeability of free space)(n)I

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't see how moving the magnets faster will create more current. However I understand why an increase in B can cause more current (though I cannot derive that with the use of formulas).

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
JustinLiang said:
I really don't know but here are some that I think can be used:
E=-N(flux)/t
That's not quite right! :-p
The induced emf isn't proportional the flux divided by time. Rather it is proportional to the change in flux divided by the change in time. It turns out that it makes a big difference.

[tex] \varepsilon mf = -N \frac{d \Phi}{dt} [/tex]

Which situation (of the possible four in the problem) causes the flux to change the most, within a given, short period of time?

Related to Which situation will induce the greatest current flow?

1. What is current flow and why is it important in a circuit?

Current flow is the movement of electric charge through a circuit. It is important because it allows electricity to power devices and perform work. Without current flow, a circuit would not be able to function.

2. How is current flow induced in a circuit?

Current flow is induced in a circuit when there is a potential difference, or voltage, between two points in the circuit. This potential difference causes electrons to flow from the negative terminal of the power source to the positive terminal, creating a current.

3. What factors affect the amount of current flow in a circuit?

The amount of current flow in a circuit is affected by the voltage, resistance, and type of material in the circuit. A higher voltage or lower resistance will result in a greater current flow, while a higher resistance will decrease the current flow.

4. Which situation will induce the greatest current flow in a circuit?

The situation that will induce the greatest current flow in a circuit is one with a high voltage and low resistance. This means that there is a large potential difference between two points in the circuit and the material in the circuit allows for easy flow of electrons.

5. How is current flow measured in a circuit?

Current flow is measured in amperes (A), also known as amps. This is typically done using an ammeter, which is connected in series with the circuit and measures the amount of electric charge passing through a specific point in the circuit per unit of time.