Which Science Field to Choose for Research: Photonics or Large Hadrons?

• Thread starter aosfet
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Photonics
In summary, the speaker has made the decision to study physics in a year and is considering two universities in different cities in Germany. One university is known for its research in photonics/FEL, while the other has ties to large hadron/heavy ions research. The speaker is intrigued by both fields but is unsure which one has more potential for research. They are seeking other perspectives and leaning towards photonics due to its interesting physics and practical applications.
aosfet
My decision is final - I'm going to study physics in a year. I have my focus on two different universities in different cities (in Germany).
One university has strong ties to photonics/FEL research facilities, the other has ties to large hadron/heavy ions research institutes. Both fields are really interesting, but it can't decide what field has more potentials in research work.

What do you think of these science fields and what do you expect from research? What would you rather pick?

(you don't have to make the decision instead of me, I just need some other perspectives on that - multithreaded thinking ftw)
(mistyping 'large hadrons' is funny)

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd encourage you to go into photonics -- there's interesting physics there and plenty practical, socially beneficial applications!

Related to Which Science Field to Choose for Research: Photonics or Large Hadrons?

1. What is Photonics?

Photonics is the science and technology of generating, controlling, and detecting light particles called photons. It encompasses the study of the properties of light, its interaction with matter, and its applications in various fields such as telecommunications, medicine, and energy.

2. What are the applications of Photonics?

Photonics has a wide range of applications including but not limited to telecommunications, data storage, medical imaging, solar energy, and sensing. It is also used in the development of advanced technologies such as quantum computing and secure communication.

3. What is the Large Hadron Collider?

The Large Hadron Collider (LHC) is the world's largest and most powerful particle accelerator, located at the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN) in Switzerland. It is used to study the fundamental building blocks of matter and the forces that govern them by colliding particles at high energies.

4. What is the purpose of studying large hadrons at the LHC?

The purpose of studying large hadrons at the LHC is to answer fundamental questions about the universe such as the origin of mass, the nature of dark matter, and the existence of extra dimensions. It also helps scientists understand the conditions of the early universe and the formation of matter.

5. How are photonics and large hadrons related?

Photonics and large hadrons are related in the sense that both fields deal with the study of particles. Photonics focuses on the properties and applications of photons, while large hadrons deal with the study of subatomic particles such as protons and neutrons. Both fields also have applications in various industries and contribute to our understanding of the universe and its building blocks.