Which one of the following orbitals is lowest in energy in a Li2+ ion?

In summary, the lowest energy orbital in a Li2+ ion is the 4d xz orbital, as determined by the Aufbau Principle. This is because the electron in question is in a hydrogen-like atom where energy is a function of only one quantum number.
nclz
Which one of the following orbitals is lowest in energy in a Li2+ ion?

37s
12p z
2d x^2-y^2
5f xyz
4d xz

attempt on solution:

n=3
l=can be n-1
ml=-l to + l
Therefore the lowest energy is

I suppose the answer is 12p z? since the l can be any number smaller than 3 until zero. I am not sure, but the answer is 4d xz

Physics news on Phys.org
Use Aufbau Principle. I am sure you know how to draw the diagram, that diagonal arrows one.

By common sense, 12(!) shell is absurd in comparison to 4th and 5th shell given.

I don't think Aufbau principle is a good approach, we are talking about a single electron and Aufbau principle assumes all lower energy orbitals are already filled. In this particular case it doesn't matter, but in general it is guaranteed to give bad results in some cases (think 4s and 3d).

For an electron in a hydrogen-like atom energy is a function of only one quantum number. Do you know which one?

Related to Which one of the following orbitals is lowest in energy in a Li2+ ion?

What is an orbital?

An orbital is a mathematical function that describes the probability of finding an electron in a specific location around the nucleus of an atom.

What does it mean for an orbital to be "lowest in energy"?

In quantum mechanics, electrons in an atom occupy orbitals with different energy levels. The lowest energy orbital is the one closest to the nucleus and is therefore the most stable.

How is the energy level of an orbital determined?

The energy level of an orbital is determined by its shape, size, and distance from the nucleus. Generally, orbitals with smaller size and closer proximity to the nucleus have lower energy levels.

Which orbital is lowest in energy in a Li2+ ion?

In a Li2+ ion, the lowest energy orbital is the 1s orbital, which is closest to the nucleus and has a spherical shape.

Why is it important to know the lowest energy orbital in a Li2+ ion?

Understanding the lowest energy orbital in a Li2+ ion is important because it helps us predict the chemical and physical properties of the ion. It also provides insight into the behavior of electrons in atoms and molecules.