Which of the following identities is true. Justify your answer. n = O(4n ) 4 n = O(n)

• MHB
  • Thread starter shamieh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    identities
In summary: This can be done by simply choosing an $n$ that is larger than $n_0$ and larger than any choice of $C$.In summary, the identities $n! = O(4^n)$ and $4^n = O(n!)$ were discussed, with the latter being true and the former being false. The definition of $f(n) = O(g(n))$, which states that for positive constants $C$ and $n_0$, $f(n) \leq Cg(n)$ for all $n \geq n_0$, was used to prove these identities. The negation of this definition was also explained, and it was shown that in order to prove $n! \notin O(
shamieh
Which of the following identities are true. Justify your answer.
a)$n! = O(4^n)$
b)$4^n = O(n!)$

I have NO clue what to do here. First I was thinking let $n = 0$ so that $1 = O(1)$ (constant time complexity?)

Technology news on Phys.org
It holds that:$$n!=1 \cdot 2 \cdots (n-1) \cdot n \geq 1 \cdot 2 \cdot 3 \cdot 4 \cdot 4 \cdots 4=1 \cdot 2 \cdot 3 \cdot 4^{n-3} \geq \frac{3}{32} \cdot 4^n$$

What can we deduce from that?

Here is what I've came up with..

I know that: $f(x) = O(g(x))$ iff $\exists$ positive constants $C$ and $n_0$ $|0 \le f(n) \le c * g(n),$ $\forall$ $n \ge n_0|$

So I found that $n! \notin O(4^n)$ by letting $n = 10$ and letting $c = 1$. Then I found that $4^n \in O(4^n)$ is that the correct way to say it? Basically I found that the second identity is true.

shamieh said:
Here is what I've came up with..

I know that: $f(x) = O(g(x))$ iff $\exists$ positive constants $C$ and $n_0$ $|0 \le f(n) \le c * g(n),$ $\forall$ $n \ge n_0|$

So I found that $n! \notin O(4^n)$ by letting $n = 10$ and letting $c = 1$. Then I found that $4^n \in O(4^n)$ is that the correct way to say it? Basically I found that the second identity is true.

I agree that the second identity holds, but the first doesn't.
You can prove that $4^n=O(n!)$ as I did in my previous post.
I think that in order to prove that $n! \notin O(4^n)$ you have to show the negation of the definition you stated.
The negation of $\forall$ is $\exists$ and conversely. So you just have to find a $n$ such that the relation doesn't hold for any $c$.

shamieh said:
Then I found that $4^n \in O(4^n)$
This is trivially true because $f(n)\in O(f(n))$ for every $f$: just take $C=1$ and $n_0=0$.

evinda said:
The negation of $\forall$ is $\exists$ and conversely. So you just have to find a $n$ such that the relation doesn't hold for any $c$.
To elaborate on this, the definition of $f(n)\in O(g(n))$ says
\[
\exists C\,\exists n_0\forall n\ge n_0\;f(n)\le Cg(n).
\]
The negation of this is
\[
\forall C\,\forall n_0\,\exists n\ge n_0\;f(n)>Cg(n).
\]
So to prove that $n!\notin O(4^n)$ using the definition, you need to find an $n$ for every $C$ and $n_0$.

Related to Which of the following identities is true. Justify your answer. n = O(4n ) 4 n = O(n)

What does the notation O(n) mean in this context?

The notation O(n) represents the order of growth or complexity of a function, specifically how the function's runtime or space requirement scales with the input size n.

Why is the identity n = O(4n) true?

This identity is true because as n increases, 4n will also increase at the same rate. Therefore, n is always less than or equal to 4n, making n = O(4n) true.

How do you justify the answer that n = O(4n) 4 n = O(n) is true?

We can justify this answer by using the formal definition of Big O notation, which states that for a function f(n) to be O(g(n)), there must exist a positive constant c and an input size n0 such that f(n) ≤ cg(n) for all n ≥ n0. In this case, we can choose c = 4 and n0 = 1, and the inequality is clearly satisfied for both n = O(4n) and 4n = O(n).

Can you provide an example to demonstrate that n = O(4n) 4 n = O(n) is true?

Sure, let's take the function f(n) = n and g(n) = 4n. As n increases, both f(n) and g(n) will increase at the same rate. For example, when n = 10, f(n) = 10 and g(n) = 40. Therefore, n = O(4n) and 4n = O(n) because f(n) is always less than or equal to 4g(n).

What is the implication of this identity in terms of algorithm analysis?

This identity tells us that n and 4n have the same order of growth or complexity. In terms of algorithm analysis, this means that algorithms with a runtime of O(n) and O(4n) will have the same efficiency and will scale at the same rate. Therefore, we can say that these two algorithms have equal performance.