Which of the folllowing transformations are linear? how can u tell?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to determine if something is a linear transformation. The suggested method is to verify the axioms of linearity or find a counter example. It is also mentioned to check the definition, which requires the transformation to satisfy certain conditions when applied to vectors and numbers.
mr_coffee
http://img499.imageshack.us/img499/9875/untitled1copy0oi.jpg

Hello everyone I'm not looking for someoene to tell me the answer, but I'm really confused on how you can tell if somthing is a linear stransformation or not? I'm not understand what operations I'm suppose to go through to find this out, any help would be great! thanks!
The image is above which explains the problem!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you cannot verify the axioms of linearity, try to find a counter example. Ie try to show L(x+y)=L(x)+L(y), and L(ky)=kL(y), and if that's impossible, show why (simply find a single counter example)

Checking the DEFINITION of "Linear Transformation" would seem like a good idea. As I recall, the definition requires that
L(u+ v)= L(u)+ L(v) and L(av)= aL(v) where u and v are vectors (your examples all involve 2 or 3 dimensional vectors) and a is a number.

Related to Which of the folllowing transformations are linear? how can u tell?

1. How do you determine if a transformation is linear?

A transformation is linear if it follows the properties of linearity, which include: preserving addition (f(x+y) = f(x) + f(y)), preserving scalar multiplication (f(kx) = kf(x)), and mapping the origin to the origin (f(0) = 0). If these properties are satisfied, then the transformation is linear.

2. What is the difference between a linear and non-linear transformation?

A linear transformation preserves the properties of linearity, while a non-linear transformation does not. This means a linear transformation follows the rules of addition, scalar multiplication, and maps the origin to the origin, while a non-linear transformation does not.

3. Can a transformation be partially linear?

No, a transformation is either linear or non-linear. It cannot be partially linear.

4. Are there any visual cues to determine if a transformation is linear?

Yes, linear transformations typically result in straight lines or planes when graphed, while non-linear transformations result in curved lines or surfaces.

5. How does the linearity of a transformation affect its application in science?

Linear transformations are important in many scientific fields, such as physics, chemistry, and economics. They allow for simpler and more efficient calculations and can accurately model real-world phenomena. Non-linear transformations may also be useful in certain situations, but they are more complex and may require more advanced mathematical techniques to analyze.