Which notation is the proper way to write vector quantities?

In summary, there is some confusion about the proper way to write vector notation for a force, particularly when using unit vectors. One option is to use parentheses, such as (10 N)i + (5 N)j + (6 N)k, while another is to use the superscript arrow above the unit vectors, as in 10 Ni + 5 Nj + 6 Nk. Some textbooks may also include the unit after all three components, such as 5.0 \hat{i} + 3.6 \hat{j} - 8.4 \hat{z} m/s. Ultimately, the notation may vary, but it is important to be consistent and clear when using vector notation.
GreenPrint
What' the proper way to write vector notation? For a force...
(10 N)i + (5 N)j + (6 N)k
or are the brackets not standard and I can just go like this when I can indicate the superscript arrow above the unit vectors
10 Ni + 5 Nj + 6 Nk
I'm not exactly sure and was hoping someone could tell which is correct
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
i wasn't sure weather or not to place this in the advanced physics section sorry if I should of

My physics textbook had, for instance, a velocity written as [itex]5.0 \hat{i} + 3.6 \hat{j} - 8.4 \hat{z}[/itex] m/s. That is, numbers followed by unit vector letters with hats on them and after all three, the unit.

Related to Which notation is the proper way to write vector quantities?

What is vector notation?

Vector notation is a mathematical shorthand used to represent vectors, which are quantities that have both magnitude and direction. It typically involves using symbols such as arrows or bold letters to represent the vector, along with subscripts to indicate its components.

What is the difference between a vector and a scalar?

A vector is a quantity that has both magnitude and direction, while a scalar is a quantity that only has magnitude. For example, velocity is a vector quantity, as it has both speed (magnitude) and direction, while speed is a scalar quantity as it only has magnitude.

How is vector notation used in physics?

Vector notation is commonly used in physics to represent physical quantities, such as force, velocity, and acceleration, which are all vectors. It allows for the easy manipulation of these quantities in equations and helps to visualize their direction and magnitude in different scenarios.

What are the basic operations of vectors in vector notation?

The basic operations of vectors in vector notation include addition, subtraction, and scalar multiplication. Addition involves adding the corresponding components of two vectors together, while subtraction involves subtracting the corresponding components. Scalar multiplication involves multiplying a vector by a scalar quantity, which results in a vector with the same direction but a different magnitude.

Can vector notation be used for three-dimensional vectors?

Yes, vector notation can be used for three-dimensional vectors. In this case, instead of just two components (x and y), three components (x, y, and z) are used to represent the vector. The same operations of addition, subtraction, and scalar multiplication apply to three-dimensional vectors as well.