Which method is better for composing permutations in group theory?

In summary, When composing permutations in group theory, there are two possible methods: assigning labels to the moving particles, or assigning labels to their starting positions. The first method is usually preferred as it allows for easier visualizations and tracking of the order of permutations, but either method can be used depending on personal preference.
Gulli
When composing permutations in group theory I don't know how to proceed. The way I see it there are two possible methods: assigning labels to the moving particles (e.g. "1" moves around the rhombus),or assigning labels to their starting positions (e.g. "1" is always the current particle at the top of the rhombus). The first methods would mean (1234)=(23)(21)(41) while the second methods would mean (1234)=(34)(24)(41). This seems very trivial but the two methods give the same result for many textbook examples so I've never been shown definitively which method to use.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In group theory, the method of assigning labels to the moving particles is usually the way to go. This method is more commonly accepted because it allows for easier visualizations and makes it easier to keep track of the order of the permutations. It also makes it simpler to determine which permutation is being used for a particular problem. However, either method can be used depending on the individual's preference.

Related to Which method is better for composing permutations in group theory?

1. What is a permutation?

A permutation is an arrangement of elements in a specific order. For example, if we have the numbers 1, 2, and 3, the possible permutations are 123, 132, 213, 231, 312, and 321.

2. How many permutations can be composed with a set of n elements?

The number of permutations that can be composed with a set of n elements is n factorial (n!). For example, if we have 4 elements, the number of permutations would be 4! = 4 x 3 x 2 x 1 = 24.

3. How do I determine if two permutations are identical?

Two permutations are identical if they have the same elements in the same order. For example, the permutations 123 and 132 are not identical, but 123 and 123 are identical.

4. Can the same element be used more than once in a permutation?

Yes, the same element can be used more than once in a permutation. For example, if we have the letters A, B, and C, the permutation ABC is different from ACB, even though the letter A is used twice in both permutations.

5. How do I compose a permutation with specific conditions or restrictions?

To compose a permutation with specific conditions or restrictions, you can use techniques such as combinations, where you choose a subset of elements from the original set, or restrictions, where you specify the order of certain elements. You can also use mathematical formulas and algorithms to determine the number of possible permutations with specific conditions.