Which lead has a higher potential in this electromagnetic flowmeter calculation?

In summary, an electromagnetic flowmeter is used to measure blood flow rates during surgery. Blood containing Na+ ions flows due south through an artery with a diameter of 0.40 cm. The artery is in a downward magnetic field of 0.25 T and develops a Hall voltage of 0.35 mV across its diameter. The blood speed is 0.43 m/s and the flow rate is 4.4 times 10-6 m3/s. When using the right hand rule, the force is to the east, indicating that the east lead is at a higher potential due to the presence of positive ions.
matt85
An electromagnetic flowmeter is used to measure blood flow rates during surgery. Blood containing Na+ ions flows due south through an artery with a diameter of 0.40 cm. The artery is in a downward magnetic field of 0.25 T and develops a Hall voltage of 0.35 mV across its diameter. (a) What is the blood speed (in m/s)? (b) What is the flow rate (in m3/s)? (c) The leads of a voltmeter are attached to diametrically opposed points on the artery to measure the Hall voltage. Which of the two leads is at the higher potential?

1. (a) 0.35 m/s; (b) 4.4 times 10-6 m3/s; (c) the east lead
2. (a) 0.43 m/s; (b) 4.4 times 10-6 m3/s; (c) the east lead
3. (a) 0.43 m/s; (b) 5.7 times 10-6 m3/s; (c) the south lead
4. (a) 0.35 m/s; (b) 4.4 times 10-6 m3/s; (c) the south lead
5. (a) 0.43 m/s; (b) 4.4 times 10-6 m3/s; (c) the south lead

I have worked through the problem, and figured out that it is .43 m/s and the flow rate is 4.4E-6 m3/s. I am not sure how to figure out which lead is at the higher potential though. When I apply the right hand rule, it seems like I get a force to the west? So, which is at a higher potential, the east or south lead?

Thanks,
Matt

Physics news on Phys.org
Oops, I meant to say 0.35 m/s.

matt85 said:
When I apply the right hand rule, it seems like I get a force to the west?
Try again. Are you using the correct right hand?
So, which is at a higher potential, the east or south lead?
On which side will you find the positive ions?

To the south?

Which way is the force?

Force is to the east?

Well I guess that's the last choice, but yes. RHR says fingers down, thumb south, palm faces east, that's where the positive ions are, that's where the voltage is high.

Related to Which lead has a higher potential in this electromagnetic flowmeter calculation?

1. What is an electromagnetic flowmeter?

An electromagnetic flowmeter is a type of instrument used to measure the flow rate of a conductive fluid in a pipe. It uses Faraday's Law of Induction to measure the voltage created by the fluid passing through a magnetic field, which is then proportional to the flow rate.

2. How does an electromagnetic flowmeter work?

An electromagnetic flowmeter works by using a magnetic field generated by coils around the pipe. As the conductive fluid flows through the pipe, it creates a voltage that is detected by electrodes placed on the pipe walls. This voltage is then converted into a flow rate measurement.

3. What are the advantages of using an electromagnetic flowmeter?

Some advantages of using an electromagnetic flowmeter include its accuracy, reliability, and ability to measure a wide range of flow rates. It is also unaffected by changes in temperature, pressure, or viscosity of the fluid being measured.

4. Are there any limitations to using an electromagnetic flowmeter?

One limitation of an electromagnetic flowmeter is that it can only be used for conductive fluids. It is also important to ensure that the fluid does not contain any air bubbles or particles, as this can affect the accuracy of the measurement.

5. What are some applications of electromagnetic flowmeters?

Electromagnetic flowmeters are commonly used in industries such as water and wastewater treatment, chemical processing, and food and beverage production. They are also used in applications that require accurate flow rate measurements, such as in irrigation systems and HVAC systems.