Which is the best popular science magazine and why?

In summary, magazines like New Scientist and Popular Science can be fun to read, but they may contain inaccurate information. The best magazines for learning about science are Nature and Science, which have news sections and simplified summaries of important articles. Physics is a new magazine from the American Physical Society that is also good.
Galteeth
I enjoy science magazines, but some of them seem a little "iffy" sometimes! (New Scientist, I'm looking at you!)

Physics news on Phys.org
I got Popular Science just because my sister was doing a fundraiser thing. Its pretty cool but I haven't read any other science magazines.

Scientific American... because it partners with PF!

Scientific American is probably a good choice and New Scientist is not THAT bad, at least it seems they are trying to be as accurate as possible which is more than you can say for most magazines.

However, popular magazines are -almost by definition- flawed to some degree simply because they aim to popularize extremely complicated subjects (without using any of the "tools" normally used by scientists, most notably math) which almost inevitably leads to errors or over-simplifications.
They are still worth reading, but don't make the mistake of believing that they can give you more than a very superficial overview of a subject.

There are a few online resources that are pretty good. Both Nature and Science have news sections and also include "simplified" summaries of important articles.

Physics is a new free publication from APS which is also quite good (http://physics.aps.org), although some articles can probably only be considered "popular" if you are a physicist.

The best "popularized" explanation of time dilation I've ever read was in The Rationalist (I'm not a subscriber or even read it regularly).

Among "soft" sciences Psychology Today has come to strike an impression on me.

physics-world because they are a magazine geared towards a general audience and they talk exclusively about physics rather than all other genres of science

Last edited:
physics girl phd said:
Scientific American... because it partners with PF!

I happened upon a copy of the latest edition in the lobby of my doctor's office, and the dark star article contains the most concise, easily understandable, non-techinical explanation of the background semi-classical gravity (as well as the general difficulties with relativity and quantum field theory and how that relates to black holes) I have read. I am thinking of getting a subscription.

Related to Which is the best popular science magazine and why?

1. What is the best popular science magazine?

The best popular science magazine is subjective and varies depending on personal interests and preferences. Different magazines may focus on specific topics or have different writing styles, so it's important to research and read various magazines to find one that suits your interests and needs.

2. What makes a popular science magazine the best?

A popular science magazine can be considered the best based on its content, credibility, and readability. The magazine should have accurate and up-to-date information from credible sources, presented in a way that is easy to understand and engaging to readers.

3. Are there any popular science magazines that are more reputable than others?

There are several popular science magazines that have a strong reputation for providing quality content, such as Scientific American, National Geographic, and Discover. These magazines have a long history of producing reliable and informative articles.

4. Do popular science magazines cover a wide range of topics?

Yes, popular science magazines typically cover a wide range of topics, including biology, astronomy, technology, and environmental science. Some magazines may have a specific focus, but overall, they strive to cover a diverse range of scientific topics to appeal to a broad audience.

5. How can I determine which popular science magazine is right for me?

To determine which popular science magazine is right for you, consider your interests and what type of content you enjoy reading. You can also read reviews and sample articles from different magazines to get a better idea of their writing style and content. Additionally, think about the credibility and reputation of the magazine before making a decision.