Which is the best book for quantum physics?

In summary: We stumbled upon quantum physics in our BS Hons course and it is a completely new topic for me. To better understand the subject, I need a book that explains the theories and postulates in clear, straightforward English while also covering the mathematical aspects. Some recommended books include "Quantum Physics for Dummies" by J. J. Sakurai, "A Modern Approach to Quantum Mechanics" by Townsend, "Quantum theory, a very short introduction" by Polkinghorne, "Essential quantum mechanics" by Gary Bowman, "The principles of quantum mechanics" by Dirac, "Quantum Mechanics: The Theoretical Minimum" by Susskind, "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by McIntyre, and "Quantum Mechanics: Concepts
Faisal Moshiur
In our BS Hons course, we stumbled upon quantum physics. This aforementioned topic is, if not, completely new to me. Therefore, for a better understanding and easy to understand book is necessary; not compromising on the mathematical side though.

Physics news on Phys.org
Faisal Moshiur said:
not compromising on the mathematical side though.

What do you mean with this? If I read this, I would immediately think of a book that goes into C*-algebras, functional analysis and rigged Hilbert spaces. None of this is "easy to understand". So you need to be very careful and very precise in what you want.

Likes Faisal Moshiur
Quantum Physics for Dummies

micromass said:
What do you mean with this? If I read this, I would immediately think of a book that goes into C*-algebras, functional analysis and rigged Hilbert spaces. None of this is "easy to understand". So you need to be very careful and very precise in what you want.
I meant a book which is written in clear , straightforward English... That would enable me to comprehend easily the postulates and theories along with the Mathematics..

J. J. Sakurai, Modern Quantum Mechanics

1. Perhaps start with some history to see te need for the theory? The most simple but basic: Polkinghorne: quantum theory, a very short introduction (5 Hours read if you're into some physics)
  2. Gary Bowman: Essential quantum mechanics. Starts you off with the postulates and learns you formalism and bra-ket in no-time.
  3. Dirac: The principes of quantum mechanics (if you can't get enough)
Btw: Polkinghorne was a student of Dirac.
Enjoy

Likes Brain_storm
A Modern Approach to Quantum Mechanics by Townsend is pretty good. I've heard it described as an undergrad-Sakurai, but I admit I've never used Sakurai.

pliep2000 said:
  1. Perhaps start with some history to see te need for the theory? The most simple but basic: Polkinghorne: quantum theory, a very short introduction (5 Hours read if you're into some physics)
  2. Gary Bowman: Essential quantum mechanics. Starts you off with the postulates and learns you formalism and bra-ket in no-time.
Enjoy
Thanks

I am assuming you already know calculus including differential equations.

1. You need a good foundation of linear Algebra from something like
Linear Algebra as an Introduction to Abstract Mathematics by Schilling
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/9814723770/?tag=pfamazon01-20

If you can do without a printed copy, the book is available for free here
https://www.math.ucdavis.edu/~anne/linear_algebra/

Pick any decent linear algebra book that does not skimp on vector spaces.

2. Read susskind to get a decent, modern, but not too rigorous overview
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0465062903/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Here are the matching video lectures.
http://theoreticalminimum.com/courses/quantum-mechanics/2012/winter

3. Read McIntyre to get an excellent first course that uses the spins-first approach
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0321765796/?tag=pfamazon01-20

In my opinion the spins first approach is the easiest and yet most modern way to learn Quantum mechanics.

The Townsend and Sakurai books mentioned above use the same approach. I like McIntyre the best though. But any of the three will do.

The Bowman book mentioned above, although does not use a spins first approach strictly, is also a very good and short introduction.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes NathanaelNolk and Faisal Moshiur
pliep2000 said:
Enjoy

1. OK. 2. Very good!. 3. Dirac's book is a very tough read (almost like reading von Neumann's book), so I would go for a more modern writing. Sakurai's text is lucid and up to the point without too fancy mathematics and is definitely inspired from Dirac's book but with a modern notation.

Likes vanhees71
I highly recommend Shankar's QM(1) Book, it undergraduate/beginning graduate level, starts off with a chapter on the linear algebra that you need ( using Dirac's bra-ket notation), and then after a quick review of classical mechanics, proceeds to build the theory from the 'postulates' of Quantum mechanics. It has everything you need for a first course in quantum mechanics, and more, such as two chapters on path integrals and a chapter on Dirac equation, moreover, there are solutions to selected exercises at the end.
A book that goes well with Shankar's QM is Zettilli's QM book(2), it has a lot of solved problems and many problems at the end of each chapter to solidify your understanding of the subject matter.
1) https://www.amazon.com/dp/0306447908/?tag=pfamazon01-20.
2)https://www.amazon.com/dp/0470026790/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for all the information people.

Related to Which is the best book for quantum physics?

1. What is the best book for beginners to learn about quantum physics?

The best book for beginners to learn about quantum physics would be "Quantum Physics for Dummies" by Steven Holzner. It provides a clear and easy-to-understand introduction to the topic, making it perfect for those who are new to the subject.

2. What is the most comprehensive book for understanding quantum physics?

The most comprehensive book for understanding quantum physics would be "Principles of Quantum Mechanics" by R. Shankar. This book covers all the fundamental concepts and theories of quantum physics in great detail.

3. Are there any books that provide a more visual approach to learning quantum physics?

Yes, "The Quantum World: Quantum Physics for Everyone" by Kenneth Ford offers a more visual approach to learning quantum physics. It includes diagrams, illustrations, and real-life examples to help readers better understand the complex concepts.

4. Can you recommend a book that combines both theory and application in quantum physics?

"Quantum Physics: A Beginner's Guide" by Alastair Rae is a great book that combines both theory and application in quantum physics. It not only explains the fundamental concepts but also explores their real-world applications.

5. What is the best book for advanced readers looking to deepen their knowledge of quantum physics?

For advanced readers, "The Road to Reality: A Complete Guide to the Laws of the Universe" by Roger Penrose is a highly recommended book. It delves into the mathematical and theoretical aspects of quantum physics, making it perfect for those looking to deepen their understanding of the subject.