Which is a stronger mechanical connection

In summary, using a washer instead of a plate on the end of a bolt will make the connection more secure.
Alt-Bringer
im attatching a bolt to the inside of a pvc endcap

i plan on having a metal plate on the outside so the connection is distributed over an area larger than the nut
my question is, reguarding strenght of connection, and integrity of endcap
is it better to go with a single hole (eye bolt) or 2 (u-bolt/cable clamp)

my worry is that an eye-bolt means all the preasure is centered in one spot
but a u-bolt means putting 2 holes in rather close proximity, meaning a potential weakspot

Engineering news on Phys.org
Why not put large washers ,sometimes called repair washers, both sides of the plastic or plate on one side and large washer on the other.

Likes Tom.G
CWatters said:
sometimes called repair washers
Also sometimes called fender washers.

yeah, after i posted this i thought about just using a washer rather than making plates,
and using a rubber washer to maybe lessen the chance of cracking

but my main concern is wether i should use an eye bolt or a u-bolt
or will it not really matter?
(so long as i don't crush the heck out of the pvc by tightening it too much)

Alt-Bringer said:
but my main concern is wether i should use an eye bolt or a u-bolt
The above discussions assume a flat end cap. However, some end caps are convex, or domed. Any flat reinforcing plate or washer on a domed end cap will concentrate stress; either around the hole in, or around the periphery of, the end cap.

You don't say which direction the force is in relation to the pipe. i.e. pulling the cap off the pipe or pushing it onto the pipe. With a domed end cap, pushing onto the pipe, then a plug with a shoulder on it inserted into the pipe would be best. If a cap is still needed, shape the plug to the cap interior.

If pulling the cap off the pipe, then an insert in the cap, shaped to the cap interior is needed.

In either case, I vote eye bolt. That leaves more of the weak plastic available for structural strength. (It's also less machining.:smile:)

sorry,
yeah, cap is convex, force pulling in

you lose me when you say "plug with a shoulder"

...but anyways, i had the same thought reguarding eye-bolts (after having bought the other parts)
just really wanted a second opinion before i made any irreversible moves

using washers, I am thinking i should peen them to fit the concave better (wide fender washer, both sides +rubber spacers)

thanx much

Here is what I had in mind.
If the end cap is not needed for sealing, make the top of the plug flat and use a flat washer.
If the end cap is needed, then your idea of rubber washers inside and outside the endcap would be a definite improvement.
blob.png

BTW, how much force are you talking about and what size pipe? I'm also curious about the end use, if it isn't proprietary..

If it's strength you're after
see if your local plumbing supply house can get you some schedule 120 PVC .

upload_2017-8-29_22-8-16.png

I recently did a plumbing job and used some schedule 80 - it's tough stuff.
Most places just carry household schedule 40.

old jim

@Alt-Bringer
Alt-Bringer said:
using washers, I am thinking i should peen them to fit the concave better (wide fender washer, both sides +rubber spacers)

Don't rule out epoxy . JB-weld from Walmart has strength up to 3900 psi. Underneath @Tom.G 's washer it'd beef up the whole assembly. Get a fender washer big enough to cover the whole cap so it'll be in compression not shear.

thanx for the help, and information

use isn't "proprietary", but nothing dangerous, just wanted a secure end for putting tension between caps

and how much tension between the caps (plural?)

dmac257

Related to Which is a stronger mechanical connection

1. What is a mechanical connection?

A mechanical connection is a type of connection between two or more objects that relies on physical forces, such as friction, tension, or compression, to hold them together.

2. What are the factors that determine the strength of a mechanical connection?

The strength of a mechanical connection depends on several factors, including the type of connection used, the materials being connected, the surface area of contact, and the amount of force applied.

3. What are the most common types of mechanical connections?

Some of the most common types of mechanical connections include screws, bolts, nuts, rivets, welds, and adhesives.

4. Which is stronger, a bolted connection or a welded connection?

It depends on the specific application and the materials being connected. In general, a properly welded connection can be stronger than a bolted connection, but it also requires more skill and precision to create.

5. How can I determine the strength of a mechanical connection?

The strength of a mechanical connection can be determined through various methods, including calculation, testing, and using industry standards and guidelines. It is important to consult with a professional engineer for critical or high-load applications.