Which Engineering Professional Society to join?

In summary, the individual is seeking advice on which engineering professional society to join. They have been working in the UK industry for a year and have a HND degree. They are interested in progressing professionally and are considering either joining the IET (recommended by their boss) or the IMechE (recommended by their university). They are looking for any information on the benefits or differences between the two societies.
130mikep
Which Engineering Professional Society to join??

Hi, I've been in UK industry as a cad designer/production engineer for about a year now and feel its probably more than about time i joined a professional body.

i have a HND (bombed out of my degree in final year, probably due to being offered a job regardless of final results) so i will no doubt be going in at a disadvantage to other grads.

i'm fairly new to the institution thing in truth, but I'm keen to progress professionally and i think it will be a good step in the right direction.

My question is which one?! my boss is in the IET, but i was rcommended at uni to join IMECHE, is there any benefits/differences i should know of?

any info is welcome.

(and sory if this is a re-hash of another thread, i couldn't find it!)

Physics news on Phys.org

The IMechE seems like the most relevant to CAD engineers. Not sure which level you'd have to join at though since you've only got an HND.

Related to Which Engineering Professional Society to join?

1. What are the benefits of joining an engineering professional society?

Joining an engineering professional society offers numerous benefits such as networking opportunities, access to industry resources and publications, career development and mentoring programs, and the ability to stay updated on the latest advancements in the field. It also allows you to connect with like-minded individuals and collaborate on projects and research.

2. How do I choose the right engineering professional society to join?

The best way to choose the right engineering professional society is to research and evaluate your options. Consider factors such as the society's mission and values, membership fees, and the benefits they offer. You can also attend events or conferences hosted by different societies to get a better understanding of their community and activities.

3. Can I join multiple engineering professional societies?

Yes, you can join multiple engineering professional societies, as long as you are able to manage your commitments and stay active in each society. This can be beneficial as it allows you to expand your network and gain access to a wider range of resources and opportunities.

4. Are there any requirements for joining an engineering professional society?

Each society may have different requirements for membership. Some may require you to have a specific degree or level of experience, while others may have no strict requirements. It is important to research and understand the requirements before applying for membership.

5. How can I get involved in an engineering professional society?

There are many ways to get involved in an engineering professional society. You can attend events and conferences, volunteer for committees or leadership positions, contribute to publications, or participate in mentoring programs. You can also reach out to current members or the society's leadership team for more opportunities to get involved.