Which describes the interference at P? (Multiple Choice)

In summary, based on the given information about the path length difference of 2.50 wavelengths, the interference at point P in Young's double-slit experiment would be the third dark fringe to either side of the central bright fringe. This can be determined using the equation for path length difference and understanding that at a minimum, the interference would result in a dark fringe.
McAfee

Homework Statement

In Young’s double-slit interference experiment, if the rays that reach point P on the viewing screen have a path length difference of 2.50 wavelengths, which describes the interference at P?

A. It is the central bright fringe.
B. It is the first dark fringe to either side of the central bright fringe.
C. It is the first bright fringe to either side of the central bright fringe.
D. It is the second dark fringe to either side of the central bright fringe.
E. It is the second bright fringe to either side of the central bright fringe.
F. It is the third dark fringe to either side of the central bright fringe.
G. It is the third bright fringe to either side of the central bright fringe.
H. It is the fourth dark fringe to either side of the central bright fringe.
I. It is the fourth bright fringe to either side of the central bright fringe.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My friend said he think the answer is D, but I was think F because 2.5 wavelength automatically put you in the third fringe then it is dark because it is at a minimum.

Physics news on Phys.org
McAfee said:
My friend said he think the answer is D, but I was think F because 2.5 wavelength automatically put you in the third fringe then it is dark because it is at a minimum.
I believe you are correct. :approve:

Related to Which describes the interference at P? (Multiple Choice)

1. What is interference at point P?

Interference at point P refers to the phenomenon of two or more waves overlapping and interacting with each other at a specific point, resulting in a change in the amplitude, phase, or direction of the resulting wave.

2. How is interference at point P described?

Interference at point P can be described using different terms such as constructive, destructive, or partial interference, depending on the resulting wave's characteristics at that point.

3. What factors affect interference at point P?

The factors that affect interference at point P include the amplitude, frequency, and phase of the waves, as well as the distance between the sources and the point P.

4. How does interference at point P affect the resulting wave?

Interference at point P can result in a wave with a larger, smaller, or the same amplitude as the individual waves depending on whether it is constructive, destructive, or partial interference. It can also affect the direction and phase of the resulting wave.

5. How can interference at point P be useful?

Interference at point P is a fundamental principle in many fields, including optics, acoustics, and radio communication. Understanding and controlling interference at point P can help in creating new technologies and improving existing ones.