Which chemistry experiment to do?

In summary, the antacid exhibits more chemical phenomenon than the aspirin or juice. The ammonium hydroxide and phenolphthalein experiment shows that antacids are a mixture of sodium carbonate and sodium bicarbonate.
NicholasAllen
Hi,
I am doing a quantitative chemistry experiment for my next assessment and I have to choose between the following 3 experiments:

* Comparing commerical antacid tablets and commenting on their effectiveness
* Comparing commerical aspirin tablets and commenting on their effectiveness
* Comparing commercial fruit juices and commenting on their levels of ascorbic acid (maybe also using different environments they are stored in - i.e. warmer environments promotes oxidation?)

These topics all sound good to me, but which one should I choose? I want one which will give me a high mark (assuming I do well) and has lots to talk about - particularly with introductory research, chemistry, chemical concepts etc.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Or thoughts to extend any of these investigations too! Thanks!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
If you only need to show the results, than any of the three ideas is fine.

If you need to demonstrate the experiment in front of a public, choose either antacid or aspirin. Orange juices, even commercial ones, will show variations of ascorbic and citric acid concentration, so the results you will get can be quite unpredictable. Medicines have a more stable composition.

I would go for the antacid, since I'm quite methodic and would perform the same experiment a lot of times before doing it in front of a public. Antacids are cheaper, so I could buy many of them and test beforehand.

Ah - almost forgetting.

Antacids exhibit plenty of chemical phenomenon.

A)Get some phenolphthalein, sodium carbonate and sodium carbonate.
1)Prepare a solution of sodium carbonate. Drop some phenolphthalein. It gets red, showing sodium carbonate solutions are quite basic.
2)Prepare a different solution, with roughly the same concentration as in 1, but this time use sodium BIcarbonate. Add phenolphthalein. It gets pink, showing sodium bicarbonate solutions are basic, but not as basic as sodium carbonate. Why? (If you can't answer why, send me a private message or post in this thread)
3)Now prepare a solution of antacid, of roughly the same concentration as 2 and 3. Add phenolphthalein. It will likely get somewhere between pink and red, sinc most antacids are a mixture of sodium carbonate and sodium bicarbonate.

NOTE: You can prepare sodium carbonate solutions by heating sodium bicarbonate solutions.
2NaHCO3 -> Na2CO3 + H2O + CO2

(This decomposition is the reason why sodium bicarbonate is used to make cakes grow)

B) Get some ammonium hydroxide and phenolphthalein.
1)Add ammonium hydroxide to water and drop phenolphthalein. It should get deep red/pink. If it doesn't, add more ammonium hydroxide. But don't add too much.
2)Now add some antacid (use effervescent antacids). The red/pink collor disappears! It means that the solution got more acid with the antacid! Isn't it amazing? Why does it happen? Are drug companies fooling us? Again, if you don't know why (hint: it's related to buffer solutions), PM ou post in this thread. Another question: why using a buffer instead of a pure base?

Have fun!

Last edited:
Acut said:
Ah - almost forgetting.

Antacids exhibit plenty of chemical phenomenon.

A)Get some phenolphthalein, sodium carbonate and sodium carbonate.
1)Prepare a solution of sodium carbonate. Drop some phenolphthalein. It gets red, showing sodium carbonate solutions are quite basic.
2)Prepare a different solution, with roughly the same concentration as in 1, but this time use sodium BIcarbonate. Add phenolphthalein. It gets pink, showing sodium bicarbonate solutions are basic, but not as basic as sodium carbonate. Why? (If you can't answer why, send me a private message or post in this thread)
3)Now prepare a solution of antacid, of roughly the same concentration as 2 and 3. Add phenolphthalein. It will likely get somewhere between pink and red, sinc most antacids are a mixture of sodium carbonate and sodium bicarbonate.

NOTE: You can prepare sodium carbonate solutions by heating sodium bicarbonate solutions.

(This decomposition is the reason why sodium bicarbonate is used to make cakes grow)

B) Get some ammonium hydroxide and phenolphthalein.
1)Add ammonium hydroxide to water and drop phenolphthalein. It should get deep red/pink. If it doesn't, add more ammonium hydroxide. But don't add too much.
2)Now add some antacid (use effervescent antacids). The red/pink collor disappears! It means that the solution got more acid with the antacid! Isn't it amazing? Why does it happen? Are drug companies fooling us? Again, if you don't know why (hint: it's related to buffer solutions), PM ou post in this thread. Another question: why using a buffer instead of a pure base?

Have fun!

sounds great, but your correct that I don't know (about the buffer solution thing), so an explanation would be wonderful :) thanks!

Do you know how to calculate pH of solution containing both NH3 and NH4+? (this is the buffer Acut referred to).

Do you know how to calculate pH of the carbonate solution? Bicarbonate solution?

If not, check here:

http://www.chembuddy.com/?left=pH-calculation&right=toc

--

^If we were to burn NaHCO3 to try and find the mass of the Na2CO3, do we make sodium bicarbonate into a solution with distilled water before we burn it?

ForeverOrchid said:
f we were to burn NaHCO3 to try and find the mass of the Na2CO3, do we make sodium bicarbonate into a solution with distilled water before we burn it?

Not sure what you are asking about, but assuming I got it right - yes.

But you better elaborate on what you mean.

Related to Which chemistry experiment to do?

1. What are some easy chemistry experiments for beginners?

Some easy chemistry experiments for beginners include creating a homemade lava lamp, making invisible ink, and conducting the classic baking soda and vinegar volcano experiment.

2. What are some chemistry experiments that require minimal materials?

Some chemistry experiments that require minimal materials include creating a density tower using different liquids, making a lemon battery, and testing the pH of various household substances using red cabbage juice.

3. Can you suggest any chemistry experiments that are safe for kids?

Some safe chemistry experiments for kids include creating a color-changing milk experiment, making homemade slime, and testing the effects of different liquids on eggshells.

4. What are some chemistry experiments that can be done at home?

Many chemistry experiments can be done at home, such as creating a homemade battery, making a DIY lava lamp, and testing the effects of different substances on plant growth.

5. Are there any chemistry experiments that can be done without adult supervision?

While it is always recommended to have adult supervision when conducting experiments, there are some chemistry experiments that can be done without it. These include creating a simple electrolysis experiment, making a DIY pH indicator, and testing the effects of temperature on candy making.