Which calculus textbook is more rigorous: Finney or Apostol?

• Thread starter Hairlosstreat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary, this person has a calculus book by Finney. He has also got a book by Thomas. He remembers taking Calculus I with Thomas as his instructor. He also has a book by John Tate. He has also got a book by Jean Christophe. He thinks that Apostol is better than the book he has. MathWonk suggests that he use Apostol.
Hairlosstreat
I have calculus book by Finny.

Physics news on Phys.org

finney?

Hairlosstreat said:
I have calculus book by Finny.

Well, good for you!

MathWonk, he is referring to "Calculus and Analytic Geometry" by Thomas and Finney which is really the classic text by George B. Thomas as revised by Ross L. Finney.
When I took Calculus I, Thomas was my instructor. I remember that I had to pay $24 for the text- and it hurt!

Though I can't help but wonder why hairlosstreat wants to tell us he has that book.

Wow! Good ole Thomas and Finney, that's the text we used when I was a freshman back in the 80's. I still have it ... somewhere.

well after googling them both, it seems finney died in 2000 and thomas died in 2006, which explains to me the significant decline in quality of the "thomas calculus" books over the last 15 years. i still prefer the one I had in 1970, written just by thomas. it must have been a privilege to be taught by him Halls, but you apparently paid dearly for it!

That was apparently much later than my freshman year, when i bought courant for my college calculus course, taught by john tate, for $6.50. tate is apparently still alive and only recently retired from ut austin after a teaching career spanning over 50 years at harvard and ut.

I've got Abstract Algebra by Dummit and Foote. It's pretty bad.

I am still wondering why this thread was opened. I rather suspect that "hairlosstreat" was trying to sell the book. Oh, well, that still is better than being offered a treatment for hair loss!

HallsofIvy said:
MathWonk, he is referring to "Calculus and Analytic Geometry" by Thomas and Finney which is really the classic text by George B. Thomas as revised by Ross L. Finney.

There are at least two editions of Calculus by "Finney - Thomas," (authors' names are reversed) which I don't think counts among the 12 editions of Thomas' Calculus. https://www.amazon.com/dp/0201549778/?tag=pfamazon01-20 is Amazon's link to the 2nd edition, from 1994.

There is also an edition by Finney-Demana-Waits-Kennedy, which I believe is based on the Finney-Thomas text above. There's a regular version (some titled Calculus: A Complete Course), and there's a single-variable version (Calculus: Graphical, Numerical, Algebraic), which is what a number of high schools use for their AP Calculus courses.

Last edited by a moderator:
my engineering college prefers this Finney book. I don't think it is rigorous like Apostol. My instructor says that we have to do epsilon-delta proofs from this book. Even Apostol has some problems pertaining to it. I think I can use Apostol itself. Please suggest me which book to use..

Related to Which calculus textbook is more rigorous: Finney or Apostol?

1. What is "Calculus by Thomas and Finney"?

"Calculus by Thomas and Finney" is a widely used and recognized textbook on the subject of Calculus. It was first published in 1952 by George B. Thomas Jr. and later revised by Ross L. Finney. It covers a broad range of topics in both single and multivariable calculus.

2. Is "Calculus by Thomas and Finney" suitable for beginners?

Yes, "Calculus by Thomas and Finney" is suitable for beginners. It starts with the basics of calculus, such as limits and derivatives, and gradually progresses to more advanced topics. The book also includes numerous examples and practice problems to help students understand the concepts.

3. How is "Calculus by Thomas and Finney" different from other calculus textbooks?

"Calculus by Thomas and Finney" is known for its clear and concise explanations, as well as its extensive coverage of both single and multivariable calculus. It also includes historical notes and biographies of mathematicians, making it a more engaging read compared to other textbooks.

4. Is "Calculus by Thomas and Finney" still relevant in today's mathematics?

Yes, "Calculus by Thomas and Finney" is still relevant in today's mathematics. While it was first published over 60 years ago, the concepts and principles of calculus remain the same. The book has also been regularly updated to include modern examples and applications.

5. Can "Calculus by Thomas and Finney" be used for self-study?

Yes, "Calculus by Thomas and Finney" can be used for self-study. The book is designed to be easily understandable for self-learners, with step-by-step explanations and plenty of practice problems. However, it is always recommended to supplement self-study with additional resources and seek guidance from a teacher or tutor if needed.