Which books provide the best understanding of quaternions for scientists?

• Algebra
  • Thread starter BigFlorida
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Quaternions
In summary, the speaker is interested in learning more about quaternions and is looking for book recommendations. They have completed various math courses and are self-studying others, and have found an interest in quaternions through a previous project. They have also recognized the potential importance of quaternions in quantum mechanics. The other person suggests studying geometric algebra and provides book recommendations for further reading.
BigFlorida
I am very much interested in gaining an in-depth knowledge of quaternions, yet I cannot find any reviews of books on quaternions anywhere. Does anyone have any recommendations? Are Hamilton's and Tait's books my best bet?

Physics news on Phys.org
Please tell us all the math you know. Also, please indicate why you are interested in quaternions.

@micromass The relevant math courses I have completed (or am taking *) are calculus I through III, Linear Algebra*, Differential Equations I*, Vector Analysis* (Including a brief intro to tensors), and Theoretical physics I*(which covers cal 2, cal 3, linear algebra, complex arithmetic, DE I, DE II, Fourier Analysis, and Vector Analysis). I am self-studying Fourier Analysis, Perturbation Theory, Complex Analysis, Differential Geometry for next semester. I would just like to know more about quaternions because I did a project in my vector analysis course in which I had to give a brief history of William Rowan Hamilton's life, and quaternions have very much captured my interest, but it is hard to find any recommended literature on the subject. Also, I have deduced that an understanding of quaternions will come in handy in QM and this is about the point in the semester that I like to begin preparing for next semester.

Likes BigFlorida
@micromass Thank you very much! I shall definitely check out all three of them.

Related to Which books provide the best understanding of quaternions for scientists?

1. What are quaternions and why are they important in mathematics and physics?

Quaternions are a number system that extends the complex numbers and are used to represent rotations in three-dimensional space. They are important in mathematics and physics because they provide a more efficient and intuitive way to represent 3D rotations compared to other methods.

2. What makes a book on quaternions considered the "best"?

The best books on quaternions should have a clear and concise explanation of the fundamental concepts, provide examples and applications in mathematics and physics, and should be accessible to readers with varying levels of mathematical background. They should also have a comprehensive coverage of the topic and be well-researched and cited.

3. Are there any recommended books on quaternions for beginners?

Yes, some recommended books for beginners include "A Primer on Quaternions" by Stephen Mann, "Quaternions for Computer Graphics" by John Vince, and "Visualizing Quaternions" by Andrew J. Hanson. These books provide a gentle introduction to quaternions and do not assume a strong mathematical background.

4. Are there any books on quaternions that focus on their applications in a specific field?

Yes, there are books that focus on the applications of quaternions in specific fields such as computer graphics, robotics, and physics. Some examples include "Geometric Algebra for Computer Science: An Object-Oriented Approach to Geometry" by Leo Dorst, "Quaternion and Clifford Fourier Transforms and Wavelets" by Eckhard Hitzer, and "Quaternions for Physics and Engineering" by Alexander Soiguine.

5. Is it necessary to have a strong understanding of mathematics to understand books on quaternions?

While a basic understanding of algebra and geometry is helpful, it is not necessary to have a strong mathematical background to understand books on quaternions. Many books on quaternions provide a gentle introduction to the topic and do not assume advanced mathematical knowledge. However, a familiarity with complex numbers and vector algebra can be beneficial.